Chapter 3 questions

In the Finetuning chapter, the article on Full-training isn’t available on Tensorflow.

2 Likes

:pencil2: Try it out! Replicate the preprocessing on the GLUE SST-2 dataset. It’s a little bit different since it’s composed of single sentences instead of pairs, but the rest of what we did should look the same. For a harder challenge, try to write a preprocessing function that works on any of the GLUE tasks.
How many types do the GLUE tasks have? single sentences/ pairs/three?

from transformers import TrainingArguments

training_args = TrainingArguments(“test-trainer”)

ImportError Traceback (most recent call last)
in <cell line: 3>()
1 from transformers import TrainingArguments
----> 3 training_args = TrainingArguments(“test-trainer”)

4 frames
/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/training_args.py in _setup_devices(self)
1770 if not is_sagemaker_mp_enabled():
1771 if not is_accelerate_available(min_version = “0.20.1”):
→ 1772 raise ImportError(
1773 “Using the Trainer with PyTorch requires accelerate>=0.20.1: Please run pip install transformers[torch] or pip install accelerate -U
1774 )

ImportError: Using the Trainer with PyTorch requires accelerate>=0.20.1: Please run pip install transformers[torch] or pip install accelerate -U

NOTE: If your import is failing due to a missing package, you can
manually install dependencies using either !pip or !apt.

To view examples of installing some common dependencies, click the
“Open Examples” button below.

Hi All,

I want to fine tune a summarization model on a custom dataset. Are there any guidelines around how much data I would need, will data from a different domain help, etc.?

I am trying to summarize conversations. In most cases, these conversations will involve just two people. I finetuned google/flan-t5-base and facebook/bart-large-cnn on about 1000 examples, results are good but not as good as GPT-3.5.

Do I need to gather and train on more data? If I don’t have access to data for my use case, can I use data from any other domain as long as they are conversations? Say, from podcasts?

For how long do I train the model for? Are there any best practices around choosing number of epochs, etc.?

I am looking to improve the performance of my model and can really use some help! I have looked online but can’t find a clear answer. I understand that in a lot of cases, you need to experiment what works for you but there are so many possibilities and I am looking for a starting point, as a beginner in this field.

Thank you for your help!

When i run the trainer.train(), it comes with the following error:
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not callable.

The attention_masks returned by tokenize_function will be equal to the sequence length passed. Also, it will all be 1’s. DataCollatorWithPadding will add 0’s to the attention_mask based on the longest sequence in the batch.

• based on the example in the chapter.
1 Like

I am working on the last ‘Try out!’ in Chapter 3 section ‘Fine-tuning a model with the Trainer API’. Everything goes fine until the code line ‘trainer.train()’ as it is showed in the image.

Please help me to solve this error.

1 Like

In Chapter 3, section '‘Fine-tuning a model with the Trainer API’. ’ when I run into the following error when I istantiate the TrainingArguments Class.
The accelerate module is already installed in the requested version.

The issue happens in the linked colab exercise notebook.

Any idea how to fix it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

<ipython-input-3-11170ce17e38> in <cell line: 3>()
      1 from transformers import TrainingArguments
----> 3 training_args = TrainingArguments("test-trainer")

4 frames

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/training_args.py in _setup_devices(self)
   1799         if not is_sagemaker_mp_enabled():
   1800             if not is_accelerate_available(min_version="0.20.1"):
-> 1801                 raise ImportError(
   1802                     "Using the `Trainer` with `PyTorch` requires `accelerate>=0.20.1`: Please run `pip install transformers[torch]` or `pip install accelerate -U`"
   1803                 )

ImportError: Using the `Trainer` with `PyTorch` requires `accelerate>=0.20.1`: Please run `pip install transformers[torch]` or `pip install accelerate -U`

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If your import is failing due to a missing package, you can
manually install dependencies using either !pip or !apt.

To view examples of installing some common dependencies, click the
"Open Examples" button below.
2 Likes

Have you finish this? :mask:

Hi! I am not understanding why we should tokenize the dataset using map and also using it as the trainer argument tokenizer. What is the behavior of the tokenizer argument in the Trainer?

I am trying to do the transformers course, and am running into trouble in the lesson “Fine-tuning a model with the Trainer API.” I am running it on a free Google Colab instance with a T4 GPU. All of the provided code works (I had to add a !pip install transformers torch after the !pip install datasets evaluate transformers[sentencepiece] to make it work), but at the bottom, we were told to " Fine-tune a model on the GLUE SST-2 dataset, using the data processing you did in section 2." Here, I ran into a strange error.

Below is the code I was trying to use for this exercise. Each code block is put into its own block here.

single_sentence_dataset = load_dataset("glue", "sst2")
single_sentence_dataset
single_sentence_dataset['train'].features
single_sentence_dataset['train'][0]
checkpoint = "bert-base-uncased"
tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained(checkpoint)
def tokenize_single_sentence_function(example):
    return tokenizer(example["sentence"], truncation=True)

tokenized_single_sentence_datasets = single_sentence_dataset.map(tokenize_single_sentence_function, batched=True)
single_sentence_data_collator = DataCollatorWithPadding(tokenizer=tokenizer)
tokenized_single_sentence_datasets['train'][0]
single_sentence_training_args = TrainingArguments("sst2-trainer", evaluation_strategy="epoch")
from transformers import AutoModelForSequenceClassification

single_sentence_model = AutoModelForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained(checkpoint, num_labels=2)
def compute_metrics_single_sentence(eval_preds):
    metric = evaluate.load("glue", "sst2")
    logits, labels = eval_preds
    predictions = np.argmax(logits, axis=-1)
    return metric.compute(predictions=predictions, references=labels)
trainer = Trainer(
    single_sentence_model,
    single_sentence_training_args,
    train_dataset=tokenized_single_sentence_datasets["train"],
    eval_dataset=tokenized_single_sentence_datasets["validation"],
    data_collator=single_sentence_data_collator,
    tokenizer=tokenize_single_sentence_function,
    compute_metrics=compute_metrics_single_sentence
)
trainer.train()

Everything runs, except for trainer.train(). When I call that, it gets to [ 501/25257 00:46 < 38:17, 10.77 it/s, Epoch 0.06/3] (what is the 25257 from, anyways? There are 67349 training examples here) before crashing with the following error:

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py in _maybe_log_save_evaluate(self, tr_loss, model, trial, epoch, ignore_keys_for_eval)
   2281         if self.control.should_save:
-> 2282             self._save_checkpoint(model, trial, metrics=metrics)
   2283             self.control = self.callback_handler.on_save(self.args, self.state, self.control)

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py in _save_checkpoint(self, model, trial, metrics)
   2348         run_dir = self._get_output_dir(trial=trial)
   2349         output_dir = os.path.join(run_dir, checkpoint_folder)
-> 2350         self.save_model(output_dir, _internal_call=True)
   2351         if self.is_deepspeed_enabled:
   2352             # under zero3 model file itself doesn't get saved since it's bogus! Unless deepspeed

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py in save_model(self, output_dir, _internal_call)
   2842         elif self.args.should_save:
-> 2843             self._save(output_dir)
   2845         # Push to the Hub when `save_model` is called by the user.

/usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py in _save(self, output_dir, state_dict)
   2905         if self.tokenizer is not None:
-> 2906             self.tokenizer.save_pretrained(output_dir)
   2908         # Good practice: save your training arguments together with the trained model

AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'save_pretrained'

Removing the compute_metrics argument does not change anything.

Does anyone know what is going on? I am not explicitly telling it to save anything. Why is this failing when the provided code works?

Thank you!

Edit:

I was able to train a model for SST2 successfully without using the trainer API in the next lesson. Why does it not work here?

I fixed the issue. You need to pass the tokenizer, and not the tokenizer function, into Trainer. Also, I had to set save_strategy="steps" and save_steps=0.25 in the TrainingArguments to prevent the training process from filling up my Google Colab’s disk by storing weights every 500 steps.

Hi folks,
When running the pytorch version of the “Fine-Tuning a model notebook”(link)[Google Colab], I’m getting this error:

"Using the `Trainer` with `PyTorch` requires `accelerate>=0.20.1`: Please run `pip install transformers[torch]` or `pip install accelerate -U`"

I tried pip installing as the error suggests but no luck. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Awesome courses, btw! Thanks!

hey, sorry i have one question related to this cold
“training_args = TrainingArguments(“test-trainer”)”
when i copy these code and run it in my jupyter notebook it gives me the error that i need to install either transformer or accelerate

after i succeeded install those two but the import error still exists…
Could someone do me a favor and explain to me how i can solve this problem?
Thank you

I am also getting the ImportError that other users are seeing for the PyTorch version of the “Fine Tuning” Google Colab book.

1 Like

I had the same problem in colab notebook and local in PyCharm
It worked when I execute the following instructions in the colab notebook.
!pip install accelerate
Update: After changing the runtime to T4 in the colab notebook the error appears again. I changed to T4 because train was very slow.

Everyone who had the following error:

"Using the `Trainer` with `PyTorch` requires `accelerate>=0.20.1`: Please run `pip install transformers[torch]` or `pip install accelerate -U`"

I had the same error and I solved it by restarting the runtime in colab and then running

! pip install -U accelerate
! pip install -U transformers

which upgrades the accelerate and transformers library to their latest versions. Hopefully this works for others.

4 Likes

I had to uninstall them, first, then reinstall before it worked.

Hi,

I am trying to run the code from the first chunk in the chapter, but I keep getting an error from load_dataset(). Namely, it happens when I do:

from datasets import load_dataset
from transformers import AutoTokenizer, DataCollatorWithPadding

raw_datasets = load_dataset("glue", "mrpc")

And the error is:
TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not NoneType

I use datasets=2.12.0 and transformers=4.37.2.

Any idea for what may be the cause of this?

Ok, I set up a Conda environment from scratch enforcing datasets>=2.17.0 and now it works. So, I guess, the problem was due to an old version of datasets?

1 Like