Convert tensorflow tokenclassifier checkpoint to pytorch

Hi,

Is there a way to convert the checkpoint of a Bert model that was fine-tuned for token classification task (NER) using tensorflow Bert original script?

I am trying to use “transformer-cli convert” but it doesn’t work except on pretrained models.

I want to share my fine-tuned models on models hub but it can’t be converted.

Thanks,
Maaly

Hi,

In HuggingFace, any model that has both an implementation in PyTorch and Tensorflow can be easily converted as follows:

from transformers import BertForTokenClassification

model = BertForTokenClassification.from_pretrained("name_of_your_directory", from_tf=True)

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I tried this approach and got this error:

1. OSError: Error no file named [‘pytorch_model.bin’, ‘tf_model.h5’, ‘model.ckpt.index’, ‘flax_model.msgpack’] found in directory hub_models/ena_all_9010/anatomy/4e-05-90 or from_tf and from_flax set to False.

I was thinking of a way to convert the checkpoints of tensorflow fine-tuned model to pytorch as I did with the checkpoints for pretrained Bert models. Here are the files of one Bert fine-tuned model:

• checkpoint
  • config.json
  • eval
  • eval_results.txt
  • eval.tf_record
  • graph.pbtxt
  • label2id.pkl
  • label_test.txt
  • model.ckpt-3000.data-00000-of-00001
  • model.ckpt-3000.index
  • model.ckpt-3000.meta
  • model.ckpt-4000.data-00000-of-00001
  • model.ckpt-4000.index
  • model.ckpt-4000.meta
  • model.ckpt-5000.data-00000-of-00001
  • model.ckpt-5000.index
  • model.ckpt-5000.meta
  • model.ckpt-6000.data-00000-of-00001
  • model.ckpt-6000.index
  • model.ckpt-6000.meta
  • model.ckpt-6316.data-00000-of-00001
  • model.ckpt-6316.index
  • model.ckpt-6316.meta
  • NER_result_conll.txt
  • predict.tf_record
  • token_test.txt
  • train.tf_record

I tried to convert the checkpoints using convert_bert_original_tf_checkpoint_to_pytorch.py but I got the following error:

• raise ModuleAttributeError("’{}’ object has no attribute ‘{}’".format(
    torch.nn.modules.module.ModuleAttributeError: ‘BertForPreTraining’ object has no attribute ‘bias’

I tried to fix it by replacing line 33 with model = BertForTokenClassification(config), then I got the following error:

• transformers/src/transformers/models/bert/modeling_bert.py", line 156, in load_tf_weights_in_bert
  • if pointer.shape != array.shape:
  • AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘shape’

investigating this issue more showed that pointer.shape != array.shape. Infact pointer = None for the following layers:
[‘bert’, ‘pooler’, ‘dense’, ‘bias’] , where array.shape = (768,)
[‘bert’, ‘pooler’, ‘dense’, ‘kernel’], where array.shape = (768, 768)
[‘output_bias’], where array.shape = (7,)
[‘output_weights’], where array.shape = (7, 768)

I’d appreciate if someone can help me in figuring out how to fix the pointer for those layers.

Thanks