How can i skip GPT2LMHeadModel embedding layers?

I am using GPT2LMHeadModel model but want to skip embedding layers of this model, and i will also be using the model.generate function for text generation task. is there any way to do this?
My purpose to skip embedding is to use embedding vectors from some other model.

Hey @dharmendra :wave: Soft prompting was added very recently! You can read it in more detail on this GitHub comment, but TL;DR

1. Install transformers from main, as this feature will only be in transformers v4.27 (pip install --upgrade git+https://github.com/huggingface/transformers.git)
  2. You can now pass inputs_embeds to .generate(), which will be used as the prompt.
from transformers import AutoModelForCausalLM, AutoTokenizer

model = AutoModelForCausalLM.from_pretrained("gpt2")
tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained("gpt2")

text = "Hello world"
input_ids = tokenizer.encode(text, return_tensors="pt")

# Traditional way of generating text
outputs = model.generate(input_ids)
print("\ngenerate + input_ids:", tokenizer.decode(outputs[0], skip_special_tokens=True))

# From inputs_embeds -- exact same output if you also pass `input_ids`. If you don't
# pass `input_ids`, you will get the same generated content but without the prompt
inputs_embeds = model.transformer.wte(input_ids)
outputs = model.generate(input_ids, inputs_embeds=inputs_embeds)
print("\ngenerate + inputs_embeds:", tokenizer.decode(outputs[0], skip_special_tokens=True))
2 Likes

I have transformers of version 2.11.0 and i gave “inputs_embed” as a parameter and it generate some sequence without any error, so i think it works on transformers below the version you mentioned.
thank you very much for the response, it saved lot of my crucial time , thanks again :slight_smile:

one more question, I don’t want to use ‘generate’ function with pre-trained model but with my custom model.
I tried to import GenerationMixIn class and use the generation function but it says import error.
can you plz suggest some way to deal with this issue.

@dharmendra If your model inherits from PreTrainedModel, it should work out of the box. If it doesn’t work, please open an issue in transformers :slight_smile:

1 Like