How to create Wav2Vec2 With Language model

Now that language model boosted decoding is possible for Wav2Vec2 (https://twitter.com/PatrickPlaten/status/1468999507488788480 and patrickvonplaten/wav2vec2-large-xlsr-53-spanish-with-lm 路 Hugging Face

it鈥檚 important to know How can one create a Wav2Vec2 + LM repo?.

Let鈥檚 explain (hopefully this is simpler in the future):

1. Install kenlm:
    The best guide to build kenlm is this github gist here: kenlm/BUILDING at master 路 kpu/kenlm 路 GitHub IMO

2. Create an ngram model:
    This is explained quite well here: GitHub - kpu/kenlm: KenLM: Faster and Smaller Language Model Queries
    I wrote a short python script that allows to quickly create a ngram from a text corpus of common voice:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
from datasets import load_dataset
import os
import argparse

parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()
parser.add_argument(
    "--language", default="polish", type=str, required=True, help="Language to run comparison on. Choose one of 'polish', 'portuguese', 'spanish' or add more to this script."
)
parser.add_argument(
    "--path_to_ngram", type=str, required=True, help="Path to kenLM ngram"
)
args = parser.parse_args()

ds = load_dataset("multilingual_librispeech", f"{args.language}", split="train")

with open("text.txt", "w") as f:
    f.write(" ".join(ds["text"]))

os.system(f"./kenlm/build/bin/lmplz -o 5 <text.txt > {args.path_to_ngram}")

## VERY IMPORTANT!!!:
# After the language model is created, one should open the file. one should add a `</s>`
# The file should have a structure which looks more or less as follows:

# \data\
# ngram 1=86586
# ngram 2=546387
# ngram 3=796581
# ngram 4=843999
# ngram 5=850874

# \1-grams:
# -5.7532206      <unk>   0
# 0       <s>     -0.06677356
# -3.4645514      drugi   -0.2088903
# ...

# Now it is very important also add a </s> token to the n-gram
# so that it can be correctly loaded. You can simple copy the line:

# and change <s> to </s>. When doing this you should also inclease `ngram` by 1.
# The new ngram should look as follows:

# \data\
# ngram 1=86587
# ngram 2=546387
# ngram 3=796581
# ngram 4=843999
# ngram 5=850874

# \1-grams:
# -5.7532206      <unk>   0
# 0       </s>     -0.06677356
# -3.4645514      drugi   -0.2088903
# ...

# Now the ngram can be correctly used with `pyctcdecode`

See: Wav2Vec2_PyCTCDecode/create_ngram.py at main 路 patrickvonplaten/Wav2Vec2_PyCTCDecode 路 GitHub

Feel free to copy those lines of code. Multi-Lingual librispeech is already a very clean text corpus. You might want to pre-process other text corpora to not include any punctuation etc鈥

As an example this step created the Spanish 5-gram here: kensho/5gram-spanish-kenLM 路 Hugging Face

1. Now we should load the language model in a PyCTCBeamSearchDecoder as this is the format we need. Here one should be very careful to choose exactly the same vocabulary as the Wav2Vec2鈥檚 tokenizer vocab.

At first we should pick a fine-tuned Wav2Vec2 model that we would like to add a language model to.
Let鈥檚 choose: jonatasgrosman/wav2vec2-large-xlsr-53-spanish 路 Hugging Face

Now we instantiate a BeamSearchDecoder and save it to a folder wav2vec2_with_lm.

E.g. you can run this code:

from transformers import AutoTokenizer
from pyctcdecode import build_ctcdecoder

tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained("jonatasgrosman/wav2vec2-large-xlsr-53-spanish")

vocab_dict = tokenizer.get_vocab()
sorted_dict = {k: v for k, v in sorted(vocab_dict.items(), key=lambda item: item[1])}

decoder = build_ctcdecoder(
    list(sorted_dict.keys()),
    args.path_to_ngram,
)

decoder.save_to_dir("wav2vec2_with_lm")

Now we should have saved the following files in wav2vec2_with_lm:

- language_model
  - attrs.json
  - kenLM.arpa
  - unigrams.txt
- alphabet.json

That鈥檚 it! Now all you need to do is to upload this to your Wav2Vec2 model so that the directory structure looks as follows:

Now, all you need to change is your decoding to:

5 Likes

This is cool!
Can you make the inference widget use the language model?

This is awesome!
I have a bunch of KenLM models for different languages trained on sentence piece-tokenized Wikipedia and OSCAR here if you find them useful: edugp/kenlm at main

1 Like

Hi @patrickvonplaten

Were you able to install kenlm in spaces?

This is awesome. Thank you!

@Harveenchadha you can install it adding this line to your requirements.txt:
https://github.com/kpu/kenlm/archive/master.zip

1 Like

Yes working on it! :slight_smile:

If someone is trying this with LM like me and has problems with AutoProcessor / AutoModelForCTC
install transformers from @patrickvonplaten commit [AutoProcessor] Correct AutoProcessor and automatically add processor鈥 路 huggingface/transformers@a139288 路 GitHub

At least I was able to load my model ( RASMUS/wav2vec2-xlsr 路 Hugging Face ) with LM after that fix

Hi,
Thank you for sharing resources !

I have come across the paper of wav2vec2, and according to the paper it seems like using a Transformer as a language model yields the best results in terms of WER.
However, I do not find any other reference/resource on the subject, nor did I find the weights of the Transformer used for decoding.

Is it possible that you might have any resource on the subject? (where I could find the weights of such transformer decoder)

Thanks a lot for helping the community :hugs:

While predicting the text with Model with LM , i am getting below error.

Hey @yaswanth,

Sorry to reply so late. Could you add a fully reproducible code sample? This is as minimal as possible? :slight_smile:

code:

Model_Files:
Error:

Hi @patrickvonplaten @philschmid

Is it possible to deploy Wav2Vec2 with a KenLM Language Model in Amazon SageMaker? I was following this article https://www.philschmid.de/automatic-speech-recognition-sagemaker but i couldn鈥檛 find an option in the sagemaker HF library to use a language model.

1 Like

Hey @diegoseto,

Yes, it is possible by deploying your model from Amazon S3 with a custom inference.py including the inference code.
Here is an example notebook for using a sentence-transformers. You just need to modify the inference.py and how the model.tar.gz is created.

1 Like

Cool. Thank you, i will try this. Thanks for the quick reply too :smiley:

1 Like