How to generate multiple text completions per prompt (like vLLM) using HuggingFace Transformers Pipeline without triggering an error?

I’m using the HuggingFace Transformers Pipeline library to generate multiple text completions for a given prompt. My goal is to utilize a model like GPT-2 to generate different possible completions like the defaults in vLLM. However, I am encountering an issue with unused model_kwargs when I attempt to specify parameters like max_length and num_return_sequences.

Here is the code snippet I’m using:

Copy code
from transformers import GPT2Tokenizer, GPT2LMHeadModel, pipeline
from typing import List, Dict

def process_prompts(prompts: List[str], model: GPT2LMHeadModel, tokenizer: GPT2Tokenizer, num_completions: int = 3) -> List[List[str]]:
    device = 0 if model.device.type == 'cuda' else -1
    text_generator = pipeline("text-generation", model=model, tokenizer=tokenizer, device=device)
    outputs = []

for prompt in prompts:
        try:
            results = text_generator(prompt, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=num_completions, num_beams=num_completions)
            completions = [result['generated_text'] for result in results]
            outputs.append(completions)
        except Exception as e:
            print(f"Error processing prompt {prompt}: {str(e)}")

return outputs

if __name__ == "__main__":
    tokenizer = GPT2Tokenizer.from_pretrained("gpt2")
    model = GPT2LMHeadModel.from_pretrained("gpt2")
    model.to("cuda" if torch.cuda.is_available() else "cpu")

example_prompts = ["Hello, how are you?"]
    processed_outputs = process_prompts(example_prompts, model, tokenizer, num_completions=3)
    for output in processed_outputs:
        print(output)

and also:

results = text_generator(prompt, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=num_completions)

When I run this, I get the following error:

The following `model_kwargs` are not used by the model: ['max_len']
Note: I am aware that typos in the generate arguments can also trigger this warning, but I've checked and rechecked the arguments names.

and

raise ValueError(
ValueError: Greedy methods without beam search do not support `num_return_sequences` different than 1 (got 4).

What could be causing this error, and how can I fix it to generate multiple completions effectively using the model?

cross: machine learning - How to generate multiple text completions per prompt (like vLLM) using HuggingFace Transformers Pipeline without triggering an error? - Stack Overflow

answer: machine learning - How to generate multiple text completions per prompt (like vLLM) using HuggingFace Transformers Pipeline without triggering an error? - Stack Overflow

I think this works:

# -- test

def pipeline_tests_():
    print(f'\n--> pipeline_tests_()')
    import torch
    from transformers import pipeline

# pipe = pipeline(model="gpt2", device_map="auto", model_kwargs={"load_in_8bit": True})
    pipe = pipeline(model="gpt2", device_map="auto", model_kwargs={"load_in_4bit": True})

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=False, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4, num_beams=5)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

print()

# -- main 

def main(
        # path_2_eval_dataset: str = '~/gold-ai-olympiad/data/MATH/test',
        path_2_eval_dataset: str = '~/putnam-math/data/Putnam_MATH_original_static2/test',
        model: str = 'gpt-4-turbo',  # e.g., gpt-4-turbo, gpt-3.5-turbo
        start: int = 0, 
        end: int = sys.maxsize, 
        ):
    from evals.data_eval_utils import get_iter_for_eval_data_set
    from evals.prompts_evals import HELM_MATH_PROMPT_8SHOT_COT2_TEMPLATE, get_math_problem_prompt_ala_helm_8shot_cot2 
    # - Get eval data
    path_2_eval_dataset: Path = Path(path_2_eval_dataset).expanduser()
    math_gold_probs_solns: list[dict] = list(get_iter_for_eval_data_set(path_2_eval_dataset))
    math_gold_probs_solns: list[dict] = math_gold_probs_solns[start:end]
    print(f'{path_2_eval_dataset=} \n {len(math_gold_probs_solns)=}')
    assert len(math_gold_probs_solns) > 0, f'No math problems found in {path_2_eval_dataset=}'

# - Get vllm generator
    prompt_template: str = HELM_MATH_PROMPT_8SHOT_COT2_TEMPLATE
    prompt_gen_func: Callable = get_math_problem_prompt_ala_helm_8shot_cot2
    math_prompts_problems: list[str] = [prompt_gen_func(gold_data_prob_soln, prompt_template) for gold_data_prob_soln in math_gold_probs_solns]
    math_guessed_outputs: list[str] = [f"Solution: Let's think step by step. " + gold_data_prob_soln['solution'] for gold_data_prob_soln in math_gold_probs_solns]

# - Estimate cost of inference
    result = estimate_openai_api_inference_cost(prompts=math_prompts_problems, outputs=math_guessed_outputs, model=model, verbose=True)
    print(f'--> Inference cost: {result=}')

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import fire
    import time
    start = time.time()
    # main()
    # fire.Fire(main)
    fire.Fire(pipeline_tests_)
    # pyton boxed_acc_eval.py --model meta-llama/Meta-Llama-3-8B-Instruct
    print(f"Done!\a Time: {time.time()-start:.2f} sec, {(time.time()-start)/60:.2f} min, {(time.time()-start)/3600:.2f} hr\a")

output:

--> pipeline_tests_()
/lfs/ampere1/0/brando9/miniconda/envs/gold_ai_olympiad/lib/python3.11/site-packages/huggingface_hub/file_download.py:1132: FutureWarning: `resume_download` is deprecated and will be removed in version 1.0.0. Downloads always resume when possible. If you want to force a new download, use `force_download=True`.
  warnings.warn(
The `load_in_4bit` and `load_in_8bit` arguments are deprecated and will be removed in the future versions. Please, pass a `BitsAndBytesConfig` object in `quantization_config` argument instead.
Truncation was not explicitly activated but `max_length` is provided a specific value, please use `truncation=True` to explicitly truncate examples to max length. Defaulting to 'longest_first' truncation strategy. If you encode pairs of sequences (GLUE-style) with the tokenizer you can select this strategy more precisely by providing a specific strategy to `truncation`.
Setting `pad_token_id` to `eos_token_id`:50256 for open-end generation.
/lfs/ampere1/0/brando9/miniconda/envs/gold_ai_olympiad/lib/python3.11/site-packages/bitsandbytes/nn/modules.py:391: UserWarning: Input type into Linear4bit is torch.float16, but bnb_4bit_compute_dtype=torch.float32 (default). This will lead to slow inference or training speed.
  warnings.warn('Input type into Linear4bit is torch.float16, but bnb_4bit_compute_dtype=torch.float32 (default). This will lead to slow inference or training speed.')

output=[{'generated_text': "This is a cool example! I got my first two kids in my living room to play with, and I've played with them for years before that. It was so beautiful. They were so nervous.\n\nAdvertisement\n\nI don't think"}]
len(output)=1

output=[{'generated_text': 'This is a cool example!\n\nThe next thing I\'m going to do is create a class called "Misc.Libraries.Libraries.Libraries" and set it up with a simple definition:\n\n// This is a class'}, {'generated_text': "This is a cool example! In the video below, you can see how you can add a second time to your first time!\n\nIt's all about balancing the energy density of the atmosphere and the way you keep it going at night.\n"}, {'generated_text': "This is a cool example! I've tried to build a simple tool for tracking the change over time. My friends and I will try to improve it for everyone.\n\nFor now, I've started with a simple simple tool that takes just a"}, {'generated_text': 'This is a cool example!\n\nWe need to see how the system works.\n\nWe want to see how the "network" works.\n\nAnd what about "tasking" for an existing service.\n\nThis is just one'}]
len(output)=4
/lfs/ampere1/0/brando9/miniconda/envs/gold_ai_olympiad/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/generation/configuration_utils.py:492: UserWarning: `do_sample` is set to `False`. However, `temperature` is set to `0.8` -- this flag is only used in sample-based generation modes. You should set `do_sample=True` or unset `temperature`.
  warnings.warn(
/lfs/ampere1/0/brando9/miniconda/envs/gold_ai_olympiad/lib/python3.11/site-packages/transformers/generation/configuration_utils.py:497: UserWarning: `do_sample` is set to `False`. However, `top_p` is set to `0.95` -- this flag is only used in sample-based generation modes. You should set `do_sample=True` or unset `top_p`.
  warnings.warn(

output=[{'generated_text': "This is a cool example!\n\nI've been working on this for a few months now, and I'm really excited to share it with you.\n\nI've been working on this for a few months now, and I'm really excited"}, {'generated_text': "This is a cool example!\n\nI've been working on this for a few months now, and I'm really excited to share it with you guys.\n\nI've been working on this for a few months now, and I'm really"}, {'generated_text': "This is a cool example!\n\nI've been working on this for a few months now, and I'm really excited to share it with you.\n\nI've been working on this for a while now, and I'm really excited to"}, {'generated_text': "This is a cool example!\n\nI've been working on this for a few months now, and I'm really excited to share it with you guys.\n\nI've been working on this for a couple months now, and I'm really"}]
len(output)=4

Done! Time: 33.57 sec, 0.56 min, 0.01 hr

ultimately this helped me Pipelines for inference

# pip install accelerate bitsandbytes
import torch

pipe = pipeline(model="facebook/opt-1.3b", device_map="auto", model_kwargs={"load_in_8bit": True})
output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95)

and guessed the inputs names based on other attempts, errors.

error:

error: ` Truncation was not explicitly activated but `max_length` is provided a specific value, please use `truncation=True` to explicitly truncate examples to max length. Defaulting to 'longest_first' truncation strategy. If you encode pairs of sequences (GLUE-style) with the tokenizer you can select this strategy more precisely by providing a specific strategy to `truncation`.`

fix:

def pipeline_tests_():
    import torch

# pipe = pipeline(model="gpt2", device_map="auto", model_kwargs={"load_in_8bit": True})
    pipe = pipeline(model="gpt2", device_map="auto", model_kwargs={"load_in_4bit": True})

# output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50)
    output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, truncation=True)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4, truncation=True)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=False, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4, num_beams=5, truncation=True)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

print()

main takeaways:

• the docs for pipelines are super confusing because you can specify the generation args via gen configs or .generation + pipeline object exists
  • I never figured out how to use the gen_config…where do you give it and to who? to the model or the pipeline object?
  • beam search searches a beam so you don’t need to sample (it’s not a sampling method) it’s (sort of) tracking 5 most likely generations (so greedy is beam length = 1), thus you might get warning about temperate top_p and top_k I assume, if you have them non-zero and you are using beam search (since it looks as if the user is trying to do sampling but you have it set to beam search). Good warning from HF.
  • truncation wants to be set if max tokens max length is set.
  • vllm and hf pipelines have slightly different names for things like the max tokens length :confused: and n (vllm) for num_return_sequences (hf pipelines)
  • despite my (not really) best effort, doing model.generate and tokenizer.decode(tok_ints) tokenizer.encode(string) gives warning even though the code runs and it looks fine. e.g.,
                    input_ids = torch.tensor(tokenizer.encode(prompt)).unsqueeze(0).to(device)
                    # attention_mask = encoded_inputs['attention_mask']  # not needed since we are encoding one seq at a time, ref: https://chatgpt.com/g/g-KV0CvoH8Y-python-excellent-comments-doc-strings-types/c/cb817065-2891-4a82-bf7d-1458baa3fe36
                    completions_per_prompt: list[int] = model.generate(input_ids=input_ids, num_beams=num_beams, num_return_sequences=n, max_length=max_tokens)
                    completions_strs_per_prompt: list[str] = [tokenizer.decode(comp, skip_special_tokens=True) for comp in completions_per_prompt]
                    completions_per_prompt = outputs

e.g., the special tokens args looks funny and I get eos pad token warning despite me setting pad = eos correctly for sure. I’ve used that before so idk what’s up

tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained(pretrained_model_name_or_path)
        if tokenizer.pad_token_id is None:
            tokenizer.pad_token = tokenizer.eos_token
            print(f'{tokenizer.pad_token=}')
        torch_dtype = torch.bfloat16 if torch.cuda.get_device_capability(torch.cuda.current_device())[0] >= 8 else torch.float32 # if >= 8 ==> brain float 16 available or set to True if you always want fp32
        model = AutoModelForCausalLM.from_pretrained(pretrained_model_name_or_path, device_map="auto", torch_dtype=torch_dtype)
        print(f'{model.device=}')
        # raise ValueError(f"Model {pretrained_model_name_or_path} not supported.")

code:

import torch
from typing import Union, Callable
from vllm import LLM, SamplingParams, RequestOutput, CompletionOutput
from transformers import Pipeline
from openai import OpenAI

from evals.utils import batch_data
from evals.prompts_evals import SYSTEM_PROMPT_DEFAULT

from pathlib import Path
import sys
import os
from tqdm import tqdm

from tenacity import retry, stop_after_attempt, wait_exponential

# -- Generator (Inference) Classes

class Generator:
    def __init__(self):
        pass

def __call__(self, *args, **kwards):
        pass

class HFPipelineGenerator(Generator):  
    def __init__(self, llm: Pipeline, sampling_params: SamplingParams):
        super().__init__()
        self.llm = llm
        self.sampling_params = sampling_params

class HFDirectModelGenerator(Generator):  
    def __init__(self, llm: Pipeline, sampling_params: SamplingParams):
        super().__init__()
        self.llm = llm

class OpenAIGenerator(Generator):
    def __init__(self, model: str, sampling_params: SamplingParams, api_key: str = None, system_prompt: str = SYSTEM_PROMPT_DEFAULT):
        """
        export keys_brando=$(cat ~/keys/openai_api_brandos_personal_key.txt)
        # export keys_koyejolab=$(cat ~/keys/openai_api_key_brandos_koyejolab.txt)
        export OPENAI_KEY=keys_brando

ref: https://platform.openai.com/docs/models/gpt-4-turbo-and-gpt-4
            gpt-4-turbo
            gpt-3.5-turbo
        """
        super().__init__()
        if api_key is None:
            # api_key = os.environ.get("OPENAI_KEY").strip()
            # api_key = open(Path('~/keys/openai_api_brandos_personal_key.txt').expanduser(), 'r').read().strip()
            # api_key = open(Path('~/keys/claude_api_brandos_personal_key.txt').expanduser(), 'r').read().strip()
            api_key = open(Path('~/keys/openai_api_key_brandos_koyejolab.txt').expanduser(), 'r').read().strip()
        self.model = model
        self.api_key = api_key
        self.llm = OpenAI(api_key=self.api_key) 
        self.system_prompt = system_prompt
        self.invalid_outputs = []

class VllmGenerator(Generator):
    def __init__(self, llm: LLM, sampling_params: SamplingParams):
        super().__init__()
        self.llm = llm
        self.invalid_outputs = []

@retry(stop=stop_after_attempt(7), wait=wait_exponential(multiplier=2, max=16))
def call_to_openai_api_with_retry(gen: OpenAIGenerator, prompt: str) -> dict:
    response: dict = gen.llm.chat.completions.create(
        model=gen.model,
        messages=[
            {"role": "system", "content": gen.system_prompt},
            {"role": "user", "content": prompt},
            {"role": "assistant", "content": "The Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series in 2020."}
        ],
        temperature=gen.sampling_params.temperature,
        top_p=gen.sampling_params.top_p,
        n=gen.sampling_params.n,
        stop=gen.sampling_params.stop[:3],
        )
    return response

def inference_vllm_prompt_only(
        gen : Generator,
        math_gold_probs_solns: list[dict],
        prompt_template: str, 
        prompt_gen_func: Callable,
        batch_size: int = 1,
        start: int = 0,  # meant for quick prototyping evals, default starts from the beginning of the eval data
        end: int = sys.maxsize,  # meant for quick prototyping evals, default grabs all eval data all the way to the end
        batched: bool = True,  # true for vllm, false (?) for hf pipeline
        ) -> dict:
        """ Do inference according to only prompt you give e.g., Minerva + 4 shot.
            Note: in meta-math, ins = instruction = math problem 
            Note: return completions can be multiple strings for a single prompt e.g., useful for maj@4 voting.
        """
        assert batched, f'batched should be True but got: {batched=} always batching for vllm'

# - Form math prompts
        math_prompts_problems: list[str] = [prompt_gen_func(gold_data_prob_soln, prompt_template) for gold_data_prob_soln in math_gold_probs_solns]

# - Get subset of eval data for quick eval prototyping
        math_prompts_problems = math_prompts_problems[start:end]

# - Batch prompts
        if batched:
            assert batch_size > 0, f'batch_size should be greater than 0 but got: {batch_size=}'
            all_batched_math_prompts_problems: list[list[str]] = batch_data(math_prompts_problems, batch_size=batch_size)
            num_batches: int = len(all_batched_math_prompts_problems)

# - Return completions per prompt
        if isinstance(gen, VllmGenerator):
            # - Generate all request outputs with completions (model solutions) for each (math) prompts
            completions: list[list[CompletionOutput]] = []
            completions_strs: list[list[str]] = []  # one completion list str per (math) prompt
            outputs: list[RequestOutput] = [] 
            for batch_idx in range(num_batches):
                batch_math_prompts_problems: list[str] = all_batched_math_prompts_problems[batch_idx]
                batch_outputs: list[RequestOutput] = gen.llm.generate(batch_math_prompts_problems, gen.sampling_params)
                # for each output per prompt in batch of responses (let's flatten the batch)
                output: RequestOutput
                for output in batch_outputs:  
                    completions_per_prompt: list[CompletionOutput] = output.outputs
                    completions_strs_per_prompt: list[str] = [completion.text for completion in output.outputs]
                    # append completion per prompt
                    completions.append(completions_per_prompt)
                    completions_strs.append(completions_strs_per_prompt)
                    outputs.append(output)
            assert len(outputs) == len(math_prompts_problems), f'Length of outputs and math_prompts_problems should be equal but got: {len(outputs)=}, {len(math_prompts_problems)=}'
        elif isinstance(gen, OpenAIGenerator):
            completions: list[dict] = []
            completions_strs: list[list[str]] = []
                batch_math_prompts_problems: list[str] = all_batched_math_prompts_problems[batch_idx]
                for prompt in tqdm(batch_math_prompts_problems, total=len(batch_math_prompts_problems)):
                    response: dict = call_to_openai_api_with_retry(gen, prompt)
                    completions.append(response)
                    comps_str_for_prompt: list[str] = [completion.message.content for completion in response.choices]  # response.choices[i].message
                    completions_strs.append(comps_str_for_prompt)
            outputs = completions
        elif isinstance(gen, HFPipelineGenerator):
            # ref: https://stackoverflow.com/a/78466524/1601580
            # note: you might get warning due to temp, top_p not being zero and sampling is false when doing beam search
            print('Note: you might get warning due to temp, top_p not being zero and sampling is false when doing beam search')
            top_p, temperature, max_length, n, num_beams = gen.sampling_params.top_p, gen.sampling_params.temperature, gen.sampling_params.max_tokens, gen.sampling_params.n, gen.sampling_params.num_beams
            do_sample: bool = True if num_beams == 1 or num_beams == None else False  # beam search doesn't need sampling take n gens from beam length(?), ref: https://stackoverflow.com/a/78466524/1601580
            truncation: bool = True if max_length is not None else False  # do truncate if max_tokens given, trucate up to max_tokens
            # - Generate all request outputs with completions (model solutions) for each (math) prompts, note: batching can be bad: https://huggingface.co/docs/transformers/main_classes/pipelines#pipeline-batching
            completions: list[list[dict]] = []  # list when completions is a list (of dicts)
            completions_strs: list[list[str]] = []  # list when completions is a list (of strs)
            outputs: list = []  # list of outputs, 1 output per llm req
                for prompt in tqdm(batch_math_prompts_problems, total=len(batch_math_prompts_problems)):
                    # output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=False, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4, num_beams=5)
                    output: list[dict] = gen.llm(prompt, do_sample=do_sample, top_p=top_p, temperature=temperature, max_length=max_length, num_return_sequences=n, num_beams=num_beams, truncation=truncation)
                    completions_per_prompt: list[dict] = output
                    completions_strs_per_prompt: list[str] = [completion['generated_text'] for completion in output]
                    outputs.append(completions_per_prompt)
            assert len(outputs) == len(math_prompts_problems), f'Length of outputs and math_prompts_problems should be equal but got: {len(outputs)=}, {len(math_prompts_problems)=}'
        elif isinstance(gen, HFDirectModelGenerator):
            import torch
            model, tokenizer = gen.llm.model, gen.llm.tokenizer
            n: int = gen.sampling_params.n
            num_beams: int = 5
            max_tokens: int = gen.sampling_params.max_tokens
            device = model.device
            # batching isn't always good in HF pipeline, ref: https://huggingface.co/docs/transformers/main_classes/pipelines#pipeline-batching
            # - Generate all request outputs with completions (model solutions) for each (math) prompts
            completions: list[list[dict]] = []  # list when completions is a list (of dicts)
            completions_strs: list[list[str]] = []  # list when completions is a list (of strs)
            outputs: list = []  # list of outputs, 1 output per llm req
                    input_ids = torch.tensor(tokenizer.encode(prompt)).unsqueeze(0).to(device)
                    # attention_mask = encoded_inputs['attention_mask']  # not needed since we are encoding one seq at a time, ref: https://chatgpt.com/g/g-KV0CvoH8Y-python-excellent-comments-doc-strings-types/c/cb817065-2891-4a82-bf7d-1458baa3fe36
                    completions_per_prompt: list[int] = model.generate(input_ids=input_ids, num_beams=num_beams, num_return_sequences=n, max_length=max_tokens)
                    completions_strs_per_prompt: list[str] = [tokenizer.decode(comp, skip_special_tokens=True) for comp in completions_per_prompt]
                    completions_per_prompt = outputs
                    outputs.append(completions_per_prompt)

else:
            raise ValueError(f'Unknown generator type: {gen=}')

# - Return completions (list comp) per prompt
        assert len(completions) == len(math_prompts_problems), f'Length of completions and math_prompts_problems should be equal but got: {len(completions)=}, {len(math_prompts_problems)=}'
        assert len(completions_strs) == len(math_prompts_problems), f'Length of completions_strs and math_prompts_problems should be equal but got: {len(completions_strs)=}, {len(math_prompts_problems)=}'
        assert len(completions_strs) == len(completions), f'Length of completions_strs and completions should be equal but got: {len(completions_strs)=}, {len(completions)=}'
        result: dict = dict(completions=completions, completions_strs=completions_strs, outputs=outputs)
        return result

# -- Estimate for OpeanAI API inferences cost $$

def get_token_char_page_approx_equivalence():
    """
    1 tok ~ 4-5 chars e.g., hello 5, dog 3, help 4, happy 5, the 3, at 2, she 3,
    2-3 tok ~ 1 word
    4k toks = 2k words = 2000 words = 2000 / 500 = 4 pages 

Google doc 11pt font 
    1 lines ~ 13-14 words
    1 page ~ 35-37 lines
    1 page ~ 37 lines / page * 13 words / line = 481 words / page 
    (1 char ~ 1 byte)
    """

def get_cost_inference_per_token(model: str = 'gpt-4-turbo', verbose: bool = True) -> dict:
    # gpt-4-turbo-2024-04-09 in $10.00 / 1M tokens out $30.00 / 1M tokens
    if 'gpt-4-turbo' in model:
        # to cost per token $$ / tok
        inprice: float = 10 / 1_000_000
        outprince: float = 30 / 1_000_000
        prices: dict = {'in_cost_per_tok': inprice, 'out_cost_per_tok': outprince}
        print(f'{prices=}') if verbose else None
        return prices
    else:
        raise ValueError(f'Unknown model: {model=}')

def estimate_openai_api_inference_cost(
        prompts: list[str],  # e.g., math prompts
        outputs: list[str],  # perhaps guessed to have a cost
        model: str = 'gpt-4-turbo',  # ref costs: https://cookbook.openai.com/examples/how_to_count_tokens_with_tiktoken#encodings
        verbose: bool = True,
        ) -> float:
    """ Estimate cost of inference for given prompts using OpenAI API. ref: https://community.openai.com/t/how-do-people-estimate-gpt4-given-that-they-changed-to-pre-paid-plan-you-dont-know-how-long-the-response-will-be/741443/3"""
    import tiktoken
    assert model in {'gpt-4-turbo', 'gpt-3.5-turbo'}, f'Unknown model: {model=}'
    assert len(prompts) == len(outputs), f'Length of prompts and outputs should be equal but got: {len(prompts)=}, {len(outputs)=}'
    # - get encoding name
    # gpt-4, gpt-3.5-turbo, text-embedding-ada-002, text-embedding-3-small, text-embedding-3-large -> cl100k_base
    if model in {'gpt-4-turbo', 'gpt-3.5-turbo', 'text-embedding-ada-002', 'text-embedding-3-small', 'text-embedding-3-large'}:
        encoding_name: str = 'cl100k_base'
    else: 
        raise ValueError(f'Unknown model: {model=}')
    tokenizer = tiktoken.get_encoding(encoding_name)
    cost_per_tok: dict = get_cost_inference_per_token(model)
    in_cost_per_tok, out_cost_per_tok = cost_per_tok['in_cost_per_tok'], cost_per_tok['out_cost_per_tok']
    # compute cost by going through all sentences, tokenizing multiply by cost per token, sum and then return
    print(f'number of requests/seqs to {model=}: {len(prompts)=} ')
    print(f'number of outputs of {model=}: {len(outputs)=} ')
    # for output token, use output token list (guessed) strings
    tot_in_cost, tot_out_cost = 0.0, 0.0
    for prompt, output in zip(prompts, outputs):
        # tokenize with tiktoken
        toks_in: list[int] = tokenizer.encode(prompt)
        # print(f'{toks_in=} {len(toks_in)=} {type(toks_in)=}')
        num_toks_per_in_seq: int = len(toks_in)
        toks_out: list[int] = tokenizer.encode(output)
        # print(f'{toks_out=} {len(toks_out)=} {type(toks_out)=}')
        num_toks_per_out_seq: int = len(toks_out)
        # cost per token
        in_cost_per_seq: float = num_toks_per_in_seq * in_cost_per_tok
        out_cost_per_seq: float = num_toks_per_out_seq * out_cost_per_tok
        # accumulate total cost
        tot_in_cost += in_cost_per_seq
        tot_out_cost += out_cost_per_seq
    result = {'tot_in_cost': tot_in_cost, 'tot_out_cost': tot_out_cost}
    if verbose:
        print(f'{result=}')
    return result

def estimate_tenacity_vals(model) -> dict:
    """ 
    Estimate vals for tenacity retry decorator for given model. 

500 rpm = 500 requests per minute = 500 reqs / 60 sec = 8.33 requests per second
    8.33 rps
    1s (init) -> 2s (1 retry) -> 4s (2 retries) -> 8s (3 retries) -> 16s (4 retries) -> 32s (5 retries)

@retry(stop=stop_after_attempt(5), wait=wait_exponential(multiplier=2, max=16))

max = max wait time in seconds.
    multiplier = number to multiply wait time after we've been rate limited.

ref: https://platform.openai.com/settings/organization/limits
    ref: https://chatgpt.com/g/g-KV0CvoH8Y-python-excellent-comments-doc-strings-types/c/9c137c59-1784-4023-9e38-b1e322ede951
    """
    if model == 'gpt-4-turbo':
        rpm: int = 500
        rps: float = rpm / 60  # e.g. 8.33
    else:
        raise ValueError(f'Invalid model: {model=}')
    # estimate vals, 8.33 we can do 8.33 reqs per sec, so if we do more than that we need to wait, but we don't know the cool off
    raise NotImplementedError

# -- test

def pipeline_tests_():
    import torch

# output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50)
    output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, truncation=True)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=True, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4, truncation=True)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

output = pipe("This is a cool example!", do_sample=False, top_p=0.95, temperature=0.8, max_length=50, num_return_sequences=4, num_beams=5, truncation=True)
    print(f'\n{output=}')
    print(f'{len(output)=}')

print()

# -- main 

def main(
        # path_2_eval_dataset: str = '~/gold-ai-olympiad/data/MATH/test',
        path_2_eval_dataset: str = '~/putnam-math/data/Putnam_MATH_original_static2/test',
        model: str = 'gpt-4-turbo',  # e.g., gpt-4-turbo, gpt-3.5-turbo
        start: int = 0, 
        end: int = sys.maxsize, 
        ):
    from evals.data_eval_utils import get_iter_for_eval_data_set
    from evals.prompts_evals import HELM_MATH_PROMPT_8SHOT_COT2_TEMPLATE, get_math_problem_prompt_ala_helm_8shot_cot2 
    # - Get eval data
    path_2_eval_dataset: Path = Path(path_2_eval_dataset).expanduser()
    math_gold_probs_solns: list[dict] = list(get_iter_for_eval_data_set(path_2_eval_dataset))
    math_gold_probs_solns: list[dict] = math_gold_probs_solns[start:end]
    print(f'{path_2_eval_dataset=} \n {len(math_gold_probs_solns)=}')
    assert len(math_gold_probs_solns) > 0, f'No math problems found in {path_2_eval_dataset=}'

# - Get vllm generator
    prompt_template: str = HELM_MATH_PROMPT_8SHOT_COT2_TEMPLATE
    prompt_gen_func: Callable = get_math_problem_prompt_ala_helm_8shot_cot2
    math_guessed_outputs: list[str] = [f"Solution: Let's think step by step. " + gold_data_prob_soln['solution'] for gold_data_prob_soln in math_gold_probs_solns]

# - Estimate cost of inference
    result = estimate_openai_api_inference_cost(prompts=math_prompts_problems, outputs=math_guessed_outputs, model=model, verbose=True)
    print(f'--> Inference cost: {result=}')

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import fire
    import time
    start = time.time()
    # main()
    # fire.Fire(main)
    fire.Fire(pipeline_tests_)
    print(f"Done!\a Time: {time.time()-start:.2f} sec, {(time.time()-start)/60:.2f} min, {(time.time()-start)/3600:.2f} hr\a")

we still need to improve this it seems:

You seem to be using the pipelines sequentially on GPU. In order to maximize efficiency please use a dataset

this is confusing, the HF docs say not to batch…?

All pipelines can use batching. This will work whenever the pipeline uses its streaming ability (so when passing lists or Dataset or generator).

However, this is not automatically a win for performance. It can be either a 10x speedup or 5x slowdown depending on hardware, data and the actual model being used.

ref Pipelines so what do I do? :confused: