How to use a feature-extraction pipeline in a sklearn pipeline?

Hi!

I am considering using Transformers as “featurizer” in a scikit-learn NLP pipeline, to generate document embeddings and take advantage of the convenient functionality offered by sklearn to perform cross-validation etc., ease of swapping pipeline components with those provided by sklearn.feature_extraction, which I would have a hard time in recoding in pure PyTorch.

To do this, I created a custom Estimator

class BertEmbedder(BaseEstimator, TransformerMixin):

def __init__(self):
        model = AutoModel.from_pretrained("bert-base-uncased", max_length=512)
        tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained("bert-base-uncased", model_max_length=512, padding=True, truncation=True)
        self.embedder = pipeline("feature-extraction", model=model, tokenizer=tokenizer, device=0, model_max_length=512)

def fit(self, X, y=None):
        return self

def transform(self, raw_documents):
        # Perform arbitary transformation
        dataset = DatasetDict()
        dataset = Dataset.from_dict({"Text" : raw_documents})

embeddings = self.embedder(dataset["Text"], truncation=True, batch_size=4)

document_embeddings = []

for emb in embeddings:
            x = np.array(emb).mean(axis = 1).squeeze()
            document_embeddings.append(x)

return np.array(document_embeddings)

and create a sklearn pipeline (6.1. Pipelines and composite estimators — scikit-learn 1.1.1 documentation, here plugging a SVM on top of the BERT featurizer for illustrative purposes).

parameters = {
    "classifier__alpha": np.logspace(-1, 0, 1),
}

pipe = Pipeline(
    [
        ("vectorizer", BertEmbedder()),
        (
            "classifier",
            SGDClassifier(
                loss="modified_huber",
                penalty="l2",
                alpha=5e-3,
                random_state=42,
                max_iter=100,
                tol=None,
            ),
        ),
    ],
)

gs = GridSearchCV(pipe, parameters, n_jobs=1, verbose=2, scoring="accuracy")
gs.fit(train["text"].values, train["class"].values)

Is the above an OK thing to do?

Note that in the above, when I run CV, pipe recomputes document embeddings over and over, which is something one would like to avoid e.g. by caching results of the featurization.

Do you have suggestions for a better implementation (I am not sure if I could take advantage of libs like skorch documentation — skorch 0.11.0 documentation or PyTorch Lightning to try out different classification heads, and if the mixing of different frameworks an antipattern to avoid!)?

Just saw that @merve posted content relevant to this scikit-learn/sklearn-transformers · Hugging Face

sample notebook using whatlies here

And the whatlies implementation of the sklearn transformer is here: whatlies/_hftransformers_lang.py at f369d57365a6717660f55ecc995b4fd1d1a39cdf · koaning/whatlies · GitHub