IndexError: string index out of range on TAPAS fine-tuning

I am trying to fine-tune “google/tapas-base” on ‘google/tapas-base-finetuned-wtq’ config. I get the following error.

File "C:\Users\Kinjal\.conda\envs\nlp\lib\site- packages\transformers\models\tapas\tokenization_tapas.py", line 1668, in <listcomp>
return [(coords[1], coords[0]) for coords in answer_coordinates_question]

IndexError: string index out of range

I think the error is because of the coordinates given in the “answer_coordinates” of the TSV sheet. I tried using (row,col) and (col,row) but in both the cases I get the same error. Also, the answer coordinates are within the range of the table i.e. (0 to nrow-1, 0 to ncol-1)

Is there something I am missing here? Or is the error because of something else.

Hi,

could it be that you’re providing the answer coordinates in the wrong way? You are probably providing the coordinates as a string, but they should be provided as Python tuples.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am providing the coordinates as tuples for every answer [(0,1)] like so. But i guess when it does the swapping of rows to columns in the function:

def _to_coordinates(answer_coordinates_question):
return [(coords[1], coords[0]) for coords in answer_coordinates_question]

The [(0,1)] gets passed as a string such as ‘[(0,1)]’ and that’s where the error comes. I don’t know how to remove the ’ ’ from there.

Oh yeah I had that problem too. A solution is to use ast.literal_eval. It let’s you turn strings into their appropriate Python objects.

See also my notebook here, where I used it to turn strings into tuples before fine-tuning TAPAS on SQA: Transformers-Tutorials/Fine_tuning_TapasForQuestionAnswering_on_SQA.ipynb at master · NielsRogge/Transformers-Tutorials · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks. ast.literal_eval solved the problem. Also, the notebook is helpful.

1 Like