Named Entity Recognition: fine-tune or create new model?

Hello,

I have the bert-base-NER model running on my system.

But I want to recognize other kinds of entities, for example prices and product names. I have my own data for this that I can label to train the model.

Is this something that can be achieved by fine-tuning the bert-base-NER model?

Or should I create a model from scratch instead?

Thanks for any advice.

You can’t just add a few labels to a pre-existing model. I would recommend starting from a fine-tuned model, but you’ll need labels for all entities that you are trying to detect, including the old ones.

Thanks for your reply. So just to clarify: you’re saying that I can do this by fine-tuning something like bert-base-NER, as long as in my training dataset, I label everything that I want to be able to detect?

Actually, you could transfer the weights from the old classifier to the new one.

In pytorch, if your classifier is this:

classifier1 = nn.Linear(hidden_size, num_labels)

it will have shape (num_labels, hidden_size)

So if you add more k more labels, the new classifier will be

classifier2 = nn.Linear(hidden_size, num_labels+k)

and it will have shape (num_labels+k, hidden_size)

You would then do

classifier2.weight.data[:num_labels, :] = classifier1.weight.data

You’ll still need to train on samples that have all the labels (otherwise it will forget the originals), and you need to make sure that the ids for each label stay the same. i.e. if your label2id is originally {"person": 0, "org": 1, "misc": 2}, the new label2id should be {"person": 0, "org": 1, "misc": 2, "price": 3, "product_names": 4}

oh and you should init the classifer2 weights before moving the weights. It’s common to do something like this:

module.weight.data.normal_(mean=0.0, std=std)
if module.bias is not None:
    module.bias.data.zero_()

where std is the initializer range in the config. usually 0.02