Problem with LFS Pull

I am facing a lot of problem downloading models from the Hub. I am trying to download openai/whisper-large

git lfs install
git clone git@hf.co:openai/whisper-large

This is the error I get

kj3moraes@Keanes-MBP hf_models % git clone git@hf.co:openai/whisper-large
Cloning into 'whisper-large'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 212, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (3/3), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
remote: Total 212 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 209
Receiving objects: 100% (212/212), 2.05 MiB | 3.65 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (126/126), done.
Downloading flax_model.msgpack (6.2 GB)
Error downloading object: flax_model.msgpack (9180162): Smudge error: Error downloading flax_model.msgpack (91801621b96c8aef69d21b06893036d4fc768ca85f2fba00d7b3bab751d72722): batch response: Authentication required: Password authentication in git is no longer supported. You must use a user access token or an SSH key instead. See https://huggingface.co/blog/password-git-deprecation

Errors logged to '/Users/kj3moraes/Experiments/Coding/hf_models/whisper-large/.git/lfs/logs/20240111T184530.017361.log'.
Use `git lfs logs last` to view the log.
error: external filter 'git-lfs filter-process' failed
fatal: flax_model.msgpack: smudge filter lfs failed
warning: Clone succeeded, but checkout failed.
You can inspect what was checked out with 'git status'
and retry with 'git restore --source=HEAD :/'

This will download all the files except the LFS files.

• I have already logged in through huggingface-cli login (because huggingface-cli whoami shows my username)
  • I have added my id_rsa.pub to SSH keys in my settings page.
  • I have added the token as a git credential.

This fails for any repo that I have tried. This works

GIT_LFS_SKIP_SMUDGE=1 git clone git@hf.co:openai/whisper-large

but obviously it doesn’t download the LFS files (which I want). How do I fix this ?

Hi @lordvader31, can you check in your git config if some credentials are set with username+password? This would explain why you get Authentication required: Password authentication in git is no longer supported.. You should also make sure that the ssh key associated with the id_rsa.pub is used by git when cloning the repo.

On another note, I would suggest to use the huggingface-cli tool if you can. This won’t “clone” the repo per-se but download the files to your computer. It is usually faster and more robust that the git clone command. If you plan to use the whisper weights without contributing to the repo (e.g. making commits, PRs, etc.), this should be the preferred tool. Here are some documentation on how to use it: Command Line Interface (CLI).

Among other things, huggingface-cli download is more flexible in the sense that you can chose which files you want to download instead of cloning the full repo. This is especially useful when a repo contains weights in different formats. This applies to the CLI but also to the Python client in general. Here is an explanation of why we suggest the http-based approach instead of git: Git vs HTTP paradigm.

1 Like

Hey Wauplin, thanks a lot for the reply. I did indeed need just the model details and don’t intend on making any contributions. I will use the huggingface-cli tool hence forth.

Just for the sake of figuring out the problem, my .gitconfig file is given below. There is no credential or username+password field. How do I check which ssh key is used by git to clone a repo ?

what does git config credential.helper and git remote -v (in your repo) give you?

Hello @julien-c , I am not running this inside any repo. I want to clone the repo from huggingface. I am inside a standard unix directory. Running

1. git config crediential.helper gives osxkeychain
  2. git remote -v fails obviously because I am not in any repo.

i would delete the credentials for huggingface.co in your osx keychain then

There is no huggingface.co in my Keychain. I have globally disabled credentials.helper as well using

git config --global --unset credentials.helper

I still face that issue when I try to git clone.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.