Running blenderbot-3B locally does not produce same results as with inference API

Hello

I tried the facebook/blenderbot-3B model using the Hosted Inference API and it works pretty well (facebook/blenderbot-3B · Hugging Face). Now I tried to use it locally with the Python script shown below. The created responses are much worse than from the inference API and do not make sense most of the time.

Is a different code used for the inference API or did I make a mistake?

from transformers import TFAutoModelForCausalLM, AutoTokenizer, BlenderbotTokenizer, TFBlenderbotForConditionalGeneration, TFT5ForConditionalGeneration, BlenderbotTokenizer, BlenderbotForConditionalGeneration
import tensorflow as tf
import torch

device = "cuda:0" if torch.cuda.is_available() else "cpu"
chat_bots = {
    'BlenderBot': [BlenderbotTokenizer.from_pretrained("hyunwoongko/blenderbot-9B"), BlenderbotForConditionalGeneration.from_pretrained("hyunwoongko/blenderbot-9B").to(device)],
}
key = 'BlenderBot'
tokenizer, model = chat_bots[key]

for step in range(100):
    new_user_input_ids = tokenizer.encode(input(">> User:") + tokenizer.eos_token, return_tensors='pt').to(device)
    if step > 0:
      bot_input_ids = torch.cat([chat_history_ids, new_user_input_ids], dim=-1)
    else:
      bot_input_ids = new_user_input_ids

chat_history_ids = model.generate(bot_input_ids, max_length=1000, pad_token_id=tokenizer.eos_token_id).to(device)

print("Bot: ", tokenizer.batch_decode(chat_history_ids, skip_special_tokens=True)[0])

Does anyone have an idea? Any help is appreciated.

Hello :wave:

My guess is that your parameters might be different than the default ones in inference widget.