Token classification on custom BERT and data

I am trying to follow the instructions from here but using my own fine-tuned BERT model. I had to make a few adaptations but I think I got the data in the same format as the example. However, when I try to run the Trainer, I get the following error:

RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (8160) must match the size of tensor b (16) at non-singleton dimension 0

I had defined the max_length=510 on the call to tokenizer function, to match what I used to train the language model. I also manually pad the labels to match this length.

The code I’m using is the following:

def main():
    train_texts, train_tags = read_data('./data/ner_train.pkl')
    val_texts, val_tags = read_data('./data/ner_test.pkl')

unique_tags = set(tag for doc in train_tags for tag in doc)
    tag2id = {tag: id for id, tag in enumerate(unique_tags)}
    id2tag = {id: tag for tag, id in tag2id.items()}

tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained("C:\\Users\\Rogerio\\Documents\\bert-beaver-language")

train_encodings = tokenizer(train_texts, is_split_into_words=True, return_offsets_mapping=True, padding=True,
                                truncation=True, max_length=510)
    val_encodings = tokenizer(val_texts, is_split_into_words=True, return_offsets_mapping=True, padding=True,
                              truncation=True, max_length=510)

labels = [[tag2id[tag] for tag in doc] for doc in train_tags]
    train_labels = []
    for doc_labels, doc_offset in zip(labels, train_encodings.offset_mapping):
        # pad labels if necessary
        if len(doc_labels) < len(doc_offset):
            doc_labels += [-100] * (len(doc_offset) - len(doc_labels))

for label, offset in zip(doc_labels, doc_offset):
            if offset[0] != 0 or offset == (0, 0):
                label = -100
            train_labels.append(label)

labels = [[tag2id[tag] for tag in doc] for doc in val_tags]
    val_labels = []
    for doc_labels, doc_offset in zip(labels, val_encodings.offset_mapping):
        # pad labels if necessary
        if len(doc_labels) < len(doc_offset):
            doc_labels += [-100] * (len(doc_offset) - len(doc_labels))

for label, offset in zip(doc_labels, doc_offset):
            if offset[0] != 0 or offset == (0, 0):
                label = -100
            val_labels.append(label)

train_encodings.pop("offset_mapping")  # we don't want to pass this to the model
    val_encodings.pop("offset_mapping")
    train_dataset = NERDataset(train_encodings, train_labels)
    val_dataset = NERDataset(val_encodings, val_labels)

model = AutoModelForTokenClassification.from_pretrained("C:\\Users\\Rogerio\\Documents\\bert-beaver-language",
                                                            num_labels=len(unique_tags))

training_args = TrainingArguments(
        output_dir="C:\\Users\\Rogerio\\Documents\\bert-beaver-ner\\ner_output",
        logging_dir="C:\\Users\\Rogerio\\Documents\\bert-beaver-ner\\ner_logs",
        num_train_epochs=8,  # total number of training epochs
        per_device_train_batch_size=16,  # batch size per device during training
        per_device_eval_batch_size=64,  # batch size for evaluation
        warmup_steps=500,  # number of warmup steps for learning rate scheduler
        weight_decay=0.01,  # strength of weight decay
        logging_steps=10,
        save_total_limit=5,
        overwrite_output_dir=True,
        save_steps=750,
        do_eval=True,
        do_train=True,
        do_predict=True
    )

trainer = Trainer(
        model=model,  # the instantiated 🤗 Transformers model to be trained
        args=training_args,  # training arguments, defined above
        train_dataset=train_dataset,  # training dataset
        eval_dataset=val_dataset  # evaluation dataset
    )

trainer.train()

The full stack trace is below:

0%|          | 0/1797240 [00:00<?, ?it/s]Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/Rogerio/Documents/Python_Projects/beaver-model-training/ner_bert.py", line 558, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:/Users/Rogerio/Documents/Python_Projects/beaver-model-training/ner_bert.py", line 496, in main
    trainer.train()
  File "C:\Users\Rogerio\python-virtual-envs\beaver-model-training\lib\site-packages\transformers\trainer.py", line 747, in train
    tr_loss += self.training_step(model, inputs)
  File "C:\Users\Rogerio\python-virtual-envs\beaver-model-training\lib\site-packages\transformers\trainer.py", line 1075, in training_step
    loss = self.compute_loss(model, inputs)
  File "C:\Users\Rogerio\python-virtual-envs\beaver-model-training\lib\site-packages\transformers\trainer.py", line 1099, in compute_loss
    outputs = model(**inputs)
  File "C:\Users\Rogerio\python-virtual-envs\beaver-model-training\lib\site-packages\torch\nn\modules\module.py", line 550, in __call__
    result = self.forward(*input, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\Rogerio\python-virtual-envs\beaver-model-training\lib\site-packages\transformers\models\bert\modeling_bert.py", line 1541, in forward
    active_loss, labels.view(-1), torch.tensor(loss_fct.ignore_index).type_as(labels)
RuntimeError: The size of tensor a (8160) must match the size of tensor b (16) at non-singleton dimension 0

Any ideas?

This error seems to mean your outputs and labels have mismatched shapes. I would double-check the shapes by grabbing a batch in your training dataloader and looking at the inputs and labels.

I’m sorry I haven’t replied to this yet. I got sidetracked with other problems. I’ll will investigate this in the next few days. One thing I noticed, though, is that dividing 8160 (tensor a) by 16 (tensor b) I get exactly 510, which is the max_length I set on the tokenizer. So I assume I must be passing the entire batch as one tensor.