Trainer crashes during predict and with compute_metrics

Hi,

I’m trying to train a XLNetForSequenceClassification model using Trainer to classify sentences into 3 categories. It works fine for the training and eval datasets during trainer.train() (loss reduces as expected), but if I try to use compute_metrics argument in my trainer or I try to obtain the predictions on the same eval dataset using trainer.predict(), it crashes with the following error :

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py in predict(self, test_dataset)
   1353         test_dataloader = self.get_test_dataloader(test_dataset)
-> 1355         return self.prediction_loop(test_dataloader, description="Prediction")
   1357     def prediction_loop(

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py in prediction_loop(self, dataloader, description, prediction_loss_only)
   1442         eval_losses_gatherer.add_arrays(self._gather_and_numpify(losses_host, "eval_losses"))
   1443         if not prediction_loss_only:
-> 1444             preds_gatherer.add_arrays(self._gather_and_numpify(preds_host, "eval_preds"))
   1445             labels_gatherer.add_arrays(self._gather_and_numpify(labels_host, "eval_label_ids"))

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/transformers/trainer_pt_utils.py in add_arrays(self, arrays)
    328                 # If we get new arrays that are too big too fit, we expand the shape fo the storage
    329                 self._storage = nested_expand_like(self._storage, arrays_shape[1], padding_index=self.padding_index)
--> 330         slice_len = self._nested_set_tensors(self._storage, arrays)
    331         for i in range(self.world_size):
    332             self._offsets[i] += slice_len

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/transformers/trainer_pt_utils.py in _nested_set_tensors(self, storage, arrays)
    335         if isinstance(arrays, (list, tuple)):
    336             for x, y in zip(storage, arrays):
--> 337                 slice_len = self._nested_set_tensors(x, y)
    338             return slice_len
    339         assert (

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/transformers/trainer_pt_utils.py in _nested_set_tensors(self, storage, arrays)
    335         if isinstance(arrays, (list, tuple)):
    336             for x, y in zip(storage, arrays):
--> 337                 slice_len = self._nested_set_tensors(x, y)
    338             return slice_len
    339         assert (

347             else:
    348                 storage[self._offsets[i] : self._offsets[i] + slice_len, : arrays.shape[1]] = arrays[
--> 349                     i * slice_len : (i + 1) * slice_len
    350                 ]
    351         return slice_len

ValueError: could not broadcast input array from shape (4565,16,768) into shape (916,16,768)

Here 916 is the size of the eval dataset and 16 is the batch_size, and my guess is that 4565 is the longest concatenated feature list?

My code is as follows :

class XLNetDataset(data.Dataset):
    def __init__(self, dfObject):
        self.dfObject = dfObject  # Pandas dataframe

def __len__(self):
        return self.dfObject.shape[0]

def __getitem__(self, idx):
        if torch.is_tensor(idx):
            idx = idx.tolist()
        dfRows = self.dfObject.iloc[idx]
        dfSentences = dfRows['sentence']
        dfLabels = dfRows['p_typ']

return dfSentences, dfLabels

def XLNetCollatFunc(data):

sents = [elem[0] for elem in data]
  labels = [elem[1] for elem in data]
  encoded_result = xlTokenizer(sents, padding=True, truncation=True, max_length=128, return_tensors='pt', return_attention_mask=True)

output =  {'input_ids': encoded_result['input_ids'],
                'attention_mask': encoded_result['attention_mask'],
                'token_type_ids': encoded_result['token_type_ids'],
                'labels': torch.tensor(labels)}

return output

trainDataset = XLNetDataset(trainData)  # trainData is pandas DF containing train sentences
testDataset = XLNetDataset(testData)    # testData is pandas DF containing test sentences

xlTokenizer = XLNetTokenizer.from_pretrained('xlnet-base-cased')
xlNetModel = XLNetForSequenceClassification.from_pretrained('xlnet-base-cased', num_labels=3)

for param in xlNetModel.base_model.parameters():
  param.requires_grad = False

trainArgs = TrainingArguments(
    num_train_epochs = 1,
    evaluation_strategy = 'epoch',
    per_device_train_batch_size = 16,
    per_device_eval_batch_size = 16
)

trainer = Trainer(
    model = xlNetModel,
    args = trainArgs,
    train_dataset = trainDataset,
    eval_dataset = testDataset,
    data_collator = XLNetCollatFunc
)

trainer.train()
trainer.predict(testDataset)

I’m guessing the problem is somewhere with my custom data collator (I’m still a little unsure of the exact data format the data collator or trainer is expected to receive), but I can’t understand how it is able to produce training and evaluation loss during trainer.train() and not during the predict() call.
I’m using the latest API version (3.5)

There have been several issues around this. This should be solved in the latest release (pre-release to be more specific). You should be able to install it with

pip install --upgrade --pre transformers

Yes, that totally works. Thank you for your help!
I browsed the topics here but didn’t see if there was any issue already opened, my bad!
Thanks again!

1 Like

The issues were on GitHub, not the forum, that’s why you didn’t find them :slight_smile: . Glad this is solved for you now!

What was the fix for this? Currently I’m getting: could not broadcast input array from shape (757) into shape (204) in trainer_utils.py

_nested_set_tensors(self, storage, arrays)
344 for i in range(self.world_size):
345 if len(arrays.shape) == 1:
→ 346 storage[self._offsets[i] : self._offsets[i] + slice_len] = arrays[i * slice_len : (i + 1) * slice_len]
347 else:
348 storage[self._offsets[i] : self._offsets[i] + slice_len, : arrays.shape[1]] = arrays[

unfortunately I have to use the transformers version 3.5 and the respective trainer version. what was the workaround? Is it because of dynamic padding?(padding through the data collator?)