What is loss function for T5

Could you please guide me how loss function for T5 is computed? I mean it is a seq2seq model. Suppose it must map a sequence of X tokens to Y tokens, but it generates Z tokens. How Y and Z are compared to calculate loss?

T5 uses the regular cross-entropy loss (as any language model).

Suppose that you are fine-tuning T5 for translation, and you have the following training example:

* source sentence: "hello how are you"
* target sentence: "salut comment ça-va"

First, one needs to tokenize the sentences for the model using T5Tokenizer. Assuming that every word is tokenized into a single token, and we also add T5’s special token (namely </s> - which indicates the end of a sequence), we provide the follow inputs to the model:

* input tokens = [hello, how, are, you, </s>]
* label tokens = [salut, comment, ça, -, va, </s>]

Of course, we don’t provide these tokens as text to the model, but rather as integer IDs, which refer to row indices in an embedding matrix, so the actual inputs will look like:

* input_ids = [21820, 149, 33, 25, 1]
* labels = [20239, 1670, 3664, 18, 900, 1]

In that case, you first provide the input_ids to T5’s encoder, which will turn it into a tensor of shape (batch_size, seq_len, hidden_size). Next, T5’s decoder will predict, for each token of the target sequence, the correct next token. This happens as follows:

salut         comment      ça          -       va   </s>       => label tokens

20239          1670        3664        18      900    1        => labels

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                   
                                 DECODER 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

0            20239      1670      3664   18  900  => decoder_input_ids                         

decoder_start_token   salut     comment     ça    -    va  => decoder input tokens

In other words, what happens is, we prepend the decoder inputs with a special token (the decoder start token - which for T5 is the padding token, with index 0), and then the decoder needs to predict (in parallel) that:

• the token that follows the decoder start token is “salut”. Here, we compute the cross-entropy loss between the prediction of the model and the target token (which is “salut”).
  • the token that follows “salut” is “comment”. Here, we compute the cross-entropy loss between the prediction of the model and the target token (which is “comment”).
  • the token that follows “comment” is “ça”. Here, we compute the cross-entropy loss between the prediction of the model and the target token (which is “ça”).
  • etc.
  • the token that follows “va” is “</s>” (meaning, the end-of-sequence or EOS token). Here, we compute the cross-entropy loss between the prediction of the model and the target token (which is “</s>”).

In the code, this is done in one go, namely by comparing the logits of the model - which are of shape (batch_size, seq_len, vocab_size) - to the ground truth labels:

loss = loss_fct(lm_logits.view(-1, lm_logits.size(-1)), labels.view(-1))

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

I read that for evaluation of sequences like machine translation, BLEU and ROUGE are used. Can’t this metric be used here too?

Yes, you can use it here too.

You can leverage HuggingFace Datasets for this.

Thanks,
Also, I have another minor question about T5 which could be obvious!
Does the embedding of words change during supervised fine-tuning of the model? I mean is it the change in embedding of words what the model learns from examples, or the learning is stored in another parts of the model?

Hi,

Yes, all parameters of the model can be slightly updated when fine-tuning the model. The parameters include the token embeddings, but also the weights of the self-attention layers, the language modeling head, etc.