Batch response: Too many password attempts while uploading the dataset files with lfs

I am trying to upload the dataset (approx of 1900 hdf5 files of ~5-10mb in size) to the hf hub following instruction from the documentation. After the lfs init, I added *.hdf5 to the lsf track. After

git add .
git commit -m "init"
git push origin main

I get such error:

Uploading LFS objects:  13% (498/3868), 1.1 GB | 8.2 MB/s, done.
batch response: Too many password attempts
error: failed to push some refs to 'hf.co:datasets/tinkoff-ai/nld-aa-taster'

I did not find similar errors in hf issues or in git lfs issues. Any ideas what is wrong here?

Hi! I think this can happen if your token is not valid (invalid SSH key?).

Maybe @coyotte508 can help.

Another option is to use huggingface_hub’s create_commit to push the files programmatically.

I just got the same problem and no - my token is valid, just checked

Can you please report this issue in the huggingface_hub repo?

I have the same error trying to push ~ 1k .mp3 files to a dataset repo:

Too many password attempts% (94/1000), 94 MB | 2.5 MB/s                                                                                                                                        
Uploading LFS objects:  10% (99/1000), 94 MB | 2.5 MB/s, done.
error: failed to push some refs to 'hf.co:datasets/DBD-research-group/gadme-test2'
remote: 
remote: ========================================================================
remote: 
remote: ERROR: 

remote: 
remote: ========================================================================

Are there any news on this issue?

Hi! If I’m not mistaken, this can happen if your credentials are invalid or your organization role does not have sufficient rights (write).

Hm, but the credentials are valid and the role also has the sufficient rights.

I also opened an issue in git: Failed to push data to a dataset repository · Issue #1623 · huggingface/huggingface_hub · GitHub

The http-based approach with upload_folder worked seamlessly for my test case :slight_smile:

Good to hear that the hugginface_hub approach works! Cc @pierric who should be more familiar with this error.

I am also experiencing this issue.
I don’t think it is token invalid as it occurs in the middle of the push. It also occurs at varying times into the push (I have observed twice 6 minutes into the push and once 36 minutes into the push), so maybe not a timeout issue.

Doing the push again does however resume the LFS upload where it left off so the issue is just an inconvenience at the moment as one has to push multiple times before the commit shows in the hub.