FAISS indexing for MARCO dataset

Hey everyone,

Iā€™m trying to create a FAISS Index for the MS-MARCO dataset and Iā€™m following the documentation provided here.

Iā€™m trying to understand if there is a way to create the Faiss index in a much more batch effective way. The current worked out example seems to be taking each example and encoding it one by one and Iā€™m not sure if this is the only way to do it, or if datasets has some functionality that can make this go faster.

The reason Iā€™m asking is because the expected time show to index ā€œjustā€ the training data is around 530 hours on a GPU Colab notebook.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

This is the code snippet that Iā€™ve been working with:

!pip install transformers datasets faiss-gpu
from transformers import DPRContextEncoder, DPRContextEncoderTokenizerFast

import torch

torch.set_grad_enabled(False)

ctx_encoder = DPRContextEncoder.from_pretrained("facebook/dpr-ctx_encoder-single-nq-base")

ctx_tokenizer = DPRContextEncoderTokenizerFast.from_pretrained("facebook/dpr-ctx_encoder-single-nq-base")
from datasets import load_dataset
ds = load_dataset('ms_marco', 'v2.1', split='train')

ds_with_embeddings = ds.map(lambda example: {'embeddings': ctx_encoder(**ctx_tokenizer(example['passages']['passage_text'], return_tensors="pt", padding="longest"))[0][0].numpy()})
ds_with_embeddings.add_faiss_index(column='embeddings')

ds_with_embeddings.save_faiss_index('embeddings', 'drive/MyDrive/marco.faiss.train')

There are two things you can do AFAIK:

• use multiprocessing in map by setting num_proc > 0
  • use batching (probably the biggest bottleneck) by setting batched=True and batch_size to a reasonable amount.

E.g. something like this (untested; you may need to change some things here and there):

ds_with_embeddings = ds.map(lambda batch: {'embeddings': ctx_encoder(**ctx_tokenizer(batch['passages']['passage_text'],
                                                                                     return_tensors="np",
                                                                                     padding="longest"))[0][0] },
                            batched=True,
                            batch_size=64,
                            num_proc=6)

ds_with_embeddings = ds.map(lambda example: {ā€˜embeddingsā€™: ctx_encoder(**ctx_tokenizer(example[ā€˜passagesā€™][ā€˜passage_textā€™], return_tensors=ā€œptā€, padding=ā€œlongestā€))[0][0].numpy()})

Thanks @BramVanroy for helping out with this. I guess I figured out the batching part once I went through the documentation a bit more carefully. I do however have a followup:

I moved the models and inputs to GPU hoping that would be faster, but it seems that doesnā€™t really work with multiprocessing?

Could you tell me if thereā€™s something really obvious Iā€™m missing here?

from transformers import DPRContextEncoder, DPRContextEncoderTokenizer

import torch

torch.set_grad_enabled(False)

ctx_encoder = DPRContextEncoder.from_pretrained("facebook/dpr-ctx_encoder-single-nq-base")

ctx_tokenizer = DPRContextEncoderTokenizer.from_pretrained("facebook/dpr-ctx_encoder-single-nq-base")

ctx_encoder = ctx_encoder.to('cuda:0')

from datasets import load_from_disk
# a version of the MARCO dataset that only has passage text
ds = load_from_disk("drive/MyDrive/marco")
print(ctx_encoder.device)

def encode(example):
    npys = ctx_encoder(**ctx_tokenizer(example['passages'], return_tensors="pt", padding="longest", truncation="longest_first").to('cuda:0'))[0].cpu().numpy()
return {'embeddings': npys}

ds_with_embeddings = ds.map(encode, batched=True, batch_size=100, num_proc=6)

This fails with the following error on a GPU colab device:
RuntimeError: CUDA error: initialization error

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

It is likely that the multiprocessing step does not work well with GPU-accelerated tasks as that means duplicating the whole main process - and youā€™ll run out of memory. (Not sure why it runs into an initialization error though). Does it work without num_proc?

Itā€™s possible that you should use tokenizer.batch_encode_plus here because you are passing a batch.