Log multiple metrics while training

Hi, I am fine-tuning a classification model and would like to log accuracy, precision, recall and F1 using Trainer API.

While I am using metric = load_metric("glue", "mrpc") it logs accuracy and F1, but when I am using metric = load_metric("precision", "recall", "f1") it only logs the first metric.

Is it by design? Do I need to write a custom script if I want to log all these metrics by epochs/steps using Trainer API?

You need to load each of those metrics separately, I don’t think the loader accepts a list.

1 Like

Can you please elaborate on your first statement. I tried these two variations - First one returns only recall and second one throws and error saying tuple is not accepted.

def compute_metrics(eval_pred):
    # metric = load_metric("glue", "mrpc")
    metric = load_metric("precision")
    metric = load_metric("recall")

logits, labels = eval_pred
    predictions = np.argmax(logits, axis=-1)
    return metric.compute(predictions=predictions, references=labels)
    # metric = load_metric("glue", "mrpc")
    metric1 = load_metric("precision")
    metric2 = load_metric("recall")

return metric1.compute(predictions=predictions, references=labels), metric2.compute(predictions=predictions, references=labels)

You need to return a dictionary with the metrics you want (please checkout the course on the Trainer and the Trainer video) so in this case:

metric1 = load_metric("precision")
    metric2 = load_metric("recall")

precision = metric1.compute(predictions=predictions, references=labels)["precision"]
    recall = metric2.compute(predictions=predictions, references=labels)["recall"]
    return {"precision": precision, "recall": recall}
10 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: I completed the course recently and missed that it returns a dictionary. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi @sgugger , defining a custom compute_metrics is fine - but how do you call add_batch in each mini-batch within a single epoch when you want to log & compute multiple metrics towards the end of epoch (such as in the above case both precision and recall)? Could you please give an example of the same if possible?