Spanish NLP - Introductions

ยกHola y bienvenidos! :mexico: :colombia: :es: :argentina: :peru: :venezuela: :chile: :ecuador: :guatemala: :cuba: :bolivia: :dominican_republic: :honduras: :paraguay: :el_salvador: :nicaragua: :costa_rica: :panama: :uruguay: :equatorial_guinea: :puerto_rico:

This is the introduction thread for Spanish NLP practitioners. Please introduce yourself by telling us a little bit about:

• Your name, Github, Hugging Face, and/or Twitter handle
  • Your interest in Spanish NLP
  • Some projects you are working on or interested in starting
  • Any other languages that you speak, any personal interests, or anything else :dancer:

As for me, Iโ€™m Lewis (@lewtun on GitHub / :hugs: Hub, @_lewtun on Twitter) and Iโ€™m a data scientist in Switzerland where I build ML-powered applications for startups and enterprises, mostly in the domains of NLP :open_book:, time series :chart_with_upwards_trend:, and topological data analysis :doughnut:.

I spent a big chunk of my childhood living in Chile, which is why Iโ€™m interested in Spanish NLP :smiley:

My most recent project with Transformers involved applying XLM-R to improve the routing accuracy of customer support tickets in the 3 major Swiss languages (German, French, and Italian). Iโ€™m personally interested in making Transformers efficient through techniques like distillation, quantization, and pruning, because deploying these large models in the real-world is no mean feat!

Looking forward to e-meeting you all!

7 Likes

Hola a tod@s! :relaxed:

Thanks @lewtun for kicking off this thread introducing yourself!

Iโ€™m Maria and my handle is @mariagrandury on GitHub, :hugs:Hub and LinkedIn.

Iโ€™m from Spain - from Ponferrada, in the northwest - and currently Iโ€™m living in Berlin. Iโ€™m a Research Engineer at a startup here called neurocat and focused on AI quality and trustworthiness (i.e. explainability, robustness, performance and ethics).

Iโ€™m very interested in the intersection of all these topics with NLP and also in the application of AI to biomedicine, in particular the use of NLP techniques and architectures like Transformers to work with text-based representations of molecules (e.g. SMILES).

Iโ€™m looking forward to reading your introductions and seeing this community grow! :rocket:

Hasta pronto! :hugs:

6 Likes

Hola!

Iโ€™m Eduardo! Here is my huggingface profile, my Github and Linkedin.

I am from Madrid, Spain and currently living in San Francisco, California. I am a ML Engineer at Ferrum Health, a startup developing a ML platform for patient safety. My background is in Biomedical Engineering and Neurotechnology.

In my current role, I use transformers to process radiological reports, in combination with computer vision models to detect diagnosis errors.

I am passionate about the intersection of AI and healthcare and bringing state-of-the-art Machine Learning into hospitals to improve healthcare outcomes.

Looking forward to hearing more about you all! :hugs:

4 Likes

Hola a tod@s!

Iโ€™m Isaac (@IsaacRodgz | Github | LinkedIn ).

Iโ€™m from Mexico, living in Mexico City. Iโ€™m finishing my MSc. in CS and currently working in multimodal learning with transformer architectures (MMBT, MulT, ViLBERT, etc.). Also interested in Transfer Learning, where I am exploring Adapter modules, either for multilingual tasks or other problems.

Other interests in AI involve interpretability of Transformer models and making them more efficient. In the future I would like to dig deeper in Chatbots based on Transformer architectures.

Look forward to hearing and learning from you all :hugs:

3 Likes

ยกHola a tod@s!

Ryan here (@rydcunningham | LinkedIn). Iโ€™m originally from Texas and currently living between San Francisco and Park City, Utah. Iโ€™m an AI Product Manager at Spiketrap, an NLP startup with a suite of APIs for hate speech detection, sentiment analysis, and more. Weโ€™re in the process of expanding our native language support, hence the interest in the forums!

Part-time, Iโ€™m studying AI at Stanford with a focus on NMT with transformer architectures and model compression for edge deployments. I also write about the intersection of AI, economics, and product in my biweekly newsletter Machine Yearning.

Iโ€™m very interested in learning from other MLEs and ML researchers from outside the mainstream AI communities (e.g. US and China), especially in NLP. Spanish is one of the three largest global languages, and Iโ€™m looking forward to seeing what innovations can come out of the space when not dominated by hype-y headlines of a US vs. China arms race.

Looking forward to engaging with and learning from all of you!

3 Likes

Hello everyone!!! Hola a tod@!!!

My name is Nacho, (Huggingface: @Ignacio) | Linkedin | Twitter |

Iโ€™m living in Lorca (Murcia) Spain, Iโ€™m working at the Hospital University โ€œRafael Mรฉndezโ€. I collaborate with the University of Murcia, with the A.I.K.E. Research Group and as Mentor and Alpha tester of deeplearning.ai

My interest is the NLP applied to clinical terminologies. (Snomed-CT).
I have some works based on word embedding (Word2Vec), to develop a clinical NER. (Snomed2Vec)

Now I want to make the leap to Transformers with BERT and apply it with clinical texts.

Looking forward to hearing more about you all! Keep Learningโ€ฆ!!!

5 Likes

Muy buenas!!

My name is Antonio Polo (Linkedin | Huggingface) and I am currently living in Bilbao. I am working at Nymiz, NLP startup focus on protecting companyโ€™s personal data.

On the other hand, I am specially interested in interpretability techniques ( actually my master thesis was focus on SHAP values and other methods like LIME ).

I have been working in several startups and learning from different fields of artificial intelligence since I started in university. So, I am willing to know what you are doing!

I hope to learn a lot from this community and provide any help I can. :slight_smile: :hugs:

3 Likes