Standardazing italian translation

There are some more terms which we should consider standardizing

term comment
repository I’m keeping this in english for the moment. In theory the word “repository” comes directly from the latin “repositorium”. However, the corresponding Italian word “repositorio” has been always used almost exclusively to refer to religious objects (repoṡitòrio in Vocabolario - Treccani).
upload I’m using “caricare”, but I’m not 100% sure it’s the best translation
model card Potential candidate “cartellino del modello”
cache Maybe this can be left in english - e.g. “cartella di cache”
function argument While the word “argument” may not appear directly, function arguments are referenced multiple times. I’m using “parametro(/i)” to refer to function arguments
callback Maybe this can be left in english. Closest I can think of is “retro-invocazione”, but I think it could be really confusing
1 Like

Thank you @clone! I agree with all your suggestions, and second leaving the term callback in english.

I would update the original post but I don’t have permission yet, unfortunately. Thank you very much for sharing your terms with us!

1 Like

I agree on all points, but I would like to point out something about “function argument”: if I remember correctly, a distinction needs to be made between arguments and parameters. In particular, function parameters (“parametri” in Italian) refer to the definition of the function (e.g. in def fun(x), x is a parameter of the function), while arguments (“argomenti” in Italian) refer to the actual call to the function (e.g. in fun(2), 2 is the argument supplied to the function). I’m not sure about the actual coherence within the HuggingFace Course about this distinction, but I would suggest to keep it across the translation.

1 Like

Hi @michimichiamo, I learned something new thanks to you! There is indeed a difference between arguments and parameters.

However, the course itself does not seem to make such a distinction, so I’m unsure whether we should make it ourselves. I would suggest to go with whatever feels more natural in the sentence.

Hi guys, what do we do with ‘preprocessing’ and ‘postprocessing’? Are we keeping them as is?

I’m equally unsure what to do with ‘encoder’ and ‘decoder’…

Hi Caterina,
in the end the approach that (in my opinion) seemed to be predominant was to keep technical english terms in english unless their translation is either well established or sounds really good.
With this in mind, I have kept the terms preprocessing, postprocessing, encoder, and decoder in english in my translation.

PS great work on having your pull request merged! Congrats!

1 Like

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I’m not confident enough in Italian when it comes to computer science, so I often find myself wondering whether a term has a straightforward translation that I am not aware of! I’ll keep the four terms as well, they do sound very well in English to me!

See how I managed??? I’m quite proud although I must say I would have never succeeded without yours and Lewis’s help! Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all!
I have a question about standardizing the “try it out!” that is used to introduce small exercises.
I think we should translate it (I propose something along the line of “tocca a te!”), but I wanted to know what you think about it.

I’m thinking “Prova tu!” but I’m open to other options.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
sorry for disappearing. I also like “Prova tu!”, I would suggest to use this as the standard translation.

1 Like

Hi all, happy to contribute to the translation!:slight_smile:

I have small doubt on the ‘how to address the reader’ point.
I feel like my part sounds a bit weird if I use infinitive/1PP form.

For example, I am a bit uncertain about this paragraph.
"
Now that you know how to tackle the most common NLP tasks with :hugs: Transformers, you should be able to get started on your own projects! In this chapter we will explore what to do when you hit a problem. You’ll learn how to successfully debug your code or your training, and how to ask the community for help if you don’t manage to solve the problem by yourself. And if you think you’ve found a bug in one of the Hugging Face libraries, we’ll show you the best way to report it so that the issue is resolved as quickly as possible.
"

I am translating it to:
"
Ora che sai come affrontare i compiti di NLP più comuni con i :hugs: Transformers, dovresti essere in grado d’iniziare i tuoi progetti personali! In questo capitolo descriveremo cosa fare quando si incontra un problema. Imparerai come eseguire il debug del tuo codice o del tuo training e come chiedere aiuto alla community se non riesci a risolvere il problema da solo/a. E, se pensi di aver trovato un bug in una delle librerie di Hugging Face, ti mostreremo il modo migliore per segnalarlo, in modo che il problema venga risolto il più rapidamente possibile.
"

Another version would be:
“Ora che sappiamo come affrontare i compiti di NLP più comuni con i :hugs: Transformers, dovremmo essere in grado d’iniziare i nostri progetti personali! In questo capitolo descriveremo cosa fare quando si incontra un problema. Impareremo come eseguire il debug del nostro codice o del nostro training e come chiedere aiuto alla community se non riusciamo a risolvere il problema da soli. E, se pensi di aver trovato un bug in una delle librerie di Hugging Face, ti mostreremo il modo migliore per segnalarlo, in modo che il problema venga risolto il più rapidamente possibile.” (this last sentence in 1PP would sound very strange, I think. In this case, I would switch back to ‘tu’ 2PS)

Which one do you prefer? Thanks :slight_smile: