WER Metric running out of Memory

Hi guys,

I wanted to train a net based on HuggingFace. Unfortunately the validation process runs out of memory at the end. The values are still estimated by the model, but when the labels are to be converted to texts and the WER is to be determined, the program crashes (out of memory):

***** Running Evaluation *****
  Num examples = 15588
  Batch size = 4
100%|β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ| 3897/3897 [21:27<00:00,  3.07it/s]Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/tmp/pycharm_project_263/audioengine/model/finetuning/wav2vec2/finetune_parquet.py", line 151, in <module>
  File "/tmp/pycharm_project_263/audioengine/model/finetuning/wav2vec2/finetune_parquet.py", line 128, in main
    max_val_samples = data_args.max_val_samples if data_args.max_val_samples is not None else len(eval_dataset)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py", line 1757, in evaluate
    output = self.prediction_loop(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/transformers/trainer.py", line 1930, in prediction_loop
    metrics = self.compute_metrics(EvalPrediction(predictions=preds, label_ids=label_ids))
  File "/tmp/pycharm_project_263/audioengine/model/finetuning/wav2vec2/wav2vec2_trainer.py", line 191, in __call__
    wer = wer_metric.compute(predictions=pred_str, references=label_str)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/datasets/metric.py", line 403, in compute
    output = self._compute(predictions=predictions, references=references, **kwargs)
  File "/home/warmachine/.cache/huggingface/modules/datasets_modules/metrics/wer/73b2d32b723b7fb8f204d785c00980ae4d937f12a65466f8fdf78706e2951281/wer.py", line 94, in _compute
    return wer(references, predictions)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/jiwer/measures.py", line 80, in wer
    measures = compute_measures(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/jiwer/measures.py", line 192, in compute_measures
    H, S, D, I = _get_operation_counts(truth, hypothesis)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/jiwer/measures.py", line 273, in _get_operation_counts
    editops = Levenshtein.editops(source_string, destination_string)
MemoryError
100%|β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ| 3897/3897 [21:40<00:00,  3.00it/s]

Process finished with exit code 1

wer_metric = load_metric("wer")

def compute_metrics(processor):
    def __call__(pred):
        pred_logits = pred.predictions
        pred_ids = np.argmax(pred_logits, axis=-1)

pred.label_ids[pred.label_ids == -100] = processor.tokenizer.pad_token_id

pred_str = processor.batch_decode(pred_ids)
        # we do not want to group tokens when computing the metrics
        label_str = processor.batch_decode(pred.label_ids, group_tokens=False)

wer = wer_metric.compute(predictions=pred_str, references=label_str)

return {"wer": wer}

return __call__

trainer = Trainer(
        model=model,
        data_collator=data_collator,
        args=args,
        train_dataset=train_dataset,
        eval_dataset=eval_dataset,
        tokenizer=processor.feature_extractor,
        train_seq_lengths=train_dataset.input_seq_lengths,
        compute_metrics=compute_metrics(processor),
    )

I’m guessing you don’t have enough RAM to host all your decoded predictions in memory. You should split your dataset in smaller pieces to get the decoded predictions.

the funny thing is, yesterday everything worked. i didn’t change anything in the dataset (i think) and nothing in the trainer. Yesterday everything worked both locally and on Google Colab. Now today I bought Colab Pro and now it crashes in the training process and when validating. Is it possible to split the WER-Compute part by flag or something like that, so that the problem does not occur anymore?`

@sgugger any suggestions? what do you mean with You should split your dataset in smaller pieces to get the decoded predictions. should i just make the eval dataset smaller? eq. only use 50%? or should i just batch once more before using wer = wer_metric.compute(predictions=pred_str, references=label_str)

some of the eval settings

--per_device_eval_batch_size="2"
--evaluation_strategy="steps"
--save_steps="400"
--eval_steps="400"
--logging_steps="400"
--dataloader_num_workers="8"
--group_by_length

You can avoid the metric computation by just not passing the compute_metrics function to your Trainer. Otherwise, yes, you should use a portion of your evaluation dataset only to avoid the crash, then run a manual evaluation loop on the whole evaluation dataset when you’re done. If you don’t use Trainer, you can use the fact that Datasets metric store the intermediate results on disk and avoid your OOM error by doing:

for batch in eval_dataloder:
    batch = {k: v.to(device) for k, v in batch.items()}
    with torch.no_grad():
        outputs = model(**bach)
    pred_ids = np.argmax(outputs.logits.cpu().numpy(), axis=-1)
    labels = batch["labels"].cpu().numpy()
    labels[labels == -100] = processor.tokenizer.pad_token_id

pred_str = processor.batch_decode(pred_ids)
    # we do not want to group tokens when computing the metrics
    label_str = processor.batch_decode(labels group_tokens=False)

wer = wer_metric.add_batch(predictions=pred_str, references=label_str)

final_result = wer.compute()