Inconsistent Bleu score between test_metrics['test_bleu'] and written-to-file test_metric.predictions

I got a bleu score at about 11 and would like to do some error analysis, so I saved the predictions to file. When I read the predictions, I felt that the bleu score should be much lower than 11 because most tokens in the references are missing in the predictions. Therefore, I directly calculated the bleu score by giving the predictions file and references file to sacrebleu (which is the package used as metric in the training program) and the bleu score is about 2. The predictions and references files are both formatted one sentence a line. Each predicted sentence has only one reference.

Relevant code snippets are attached below:

import sacrebleu
metric = load_metric("sacrebleu")

#----------------------------------------------------------#
# Define compute_metrics for trainer

def postprocess_text(preds, labels):
    preds = [pred.strip() for pred in preds]
    labels = [[label.strip()] for label in labels]

return preds, labels

def compute_metrics(eval_preds):
    preds, labels = eval_preds
    if isinstance(preds, tuple):
        preds = preds[0]
    decoded_preds = tokenizer.batch_decode(preds, skip_special_tokens=True)

# Replace -100 in the labels as we can't decode them.
    labels = np.where(labels != -100, labels, tokenizer.pad_token_id)
    decoded_labels = tokenizer.batch_decode(labels, skip_special_tokens=True)

# Some simple post-processing
    decoded_preds, decoded_labels = postprocess_text(decoded_preds, decoded_labels)

result = metric.compute(predictions=decoded_preds, references=decoded_labels)
    result = {"bleu": result["score"]}

prediction_lens = [np.count_nonzero(pred != tokenizer.pad_token_id) for pred in preds]
    result["gen_len"] = np.mean(prediction_lens)
    result = {k: round(v, 4) for k, v in result.items()}
    return result

# Calculate metric for test dataset, get bleu score, and save predictions to file
test_metric = trainer.predict(test_dataset = tokenized_datasets['test'], metric_key_prefix = 'test', num_beams=6)
print(test_metric.metrics['test_bleu']) # get about 11

detokenized_predictions = tokenizer.batch_decode(test_metric.predictions, skip_special_tokens=True)
with open(path_predictions_file, 'w') as outfile:
    s = '\n'.join(detokenized_predictions)
    outfile.write(s)

# load previously-saved predictions files and references file to calculate bleu score
predictions = []
with open(path_predictions_file) as prediction_infile:
    for sentence in prediction_infile:
        predictions.append(sentence.strip())
references = []
with open(path_references_file) as reference_infile:
    for sentence in reference_infile:
        references.append(sentence.strip())

bleu = sacrebleu.corpus_bleu(predictions, [references])
print('{}'.format(bleu.format(score_only=True))) #get about 2

Thank you very much for the reading! Really appreciate any suggestions :hugs:

The post-processing in the first example is not applied to the predictions written to disk.

Hello @sgugger, thank you very much for your response :hugs:

I have put strip() when loading predictions and references back (as below) which should have the same effect as to pass them through post_process() before writing to file.

predictions.append(sentence.strip())
references.append(sentence.strip())

There is one thing I felt confused I would like to bring up. The way compute_metrics() handles references is different from the way native sacrebleu.corpus_bleu() does. (I have one reference sentence per prediction sentence.) compute_metrics() takes references in a format of [[ref1], [ref2], [ref3],…]; while sacrebleu.corpus_bleu() takes references in a format of [[ref1, ref2, ref3]]. I thought this is the why they gave different bleu score. However, when I took a look at the source code of datasets/metrics/sacrebleu/sacrebleu.py, I think, after transformation, they are both in the format of [[ref1, ref2, ref3]] when feeding into sacrebleu.corpus_bleu().

references_per_prediction = len(references[0])
transformed_references = [[refs[i] for refs in references] for i in range(references_per_prediction)]

Now I am confused again and have to continue trying to find where this inconsistency is from…

Please let me know if you have any thoughts. Thank you very much once again! :hugs:

Not exactly sure if it is due to adding tokens to tokenizers; but when I comment out code below that adds tokens and resizes embedding, the two produced bleu scores match. I am still trying to debug this. Any suggestions are appreciated :hugs:

import sentencepiece as spm
model = AutoModelForSeq2SeqLM.from_pretrained('Helsinki-NLP/opus-mt-fr-ro)
tokenizer = AutoTokenizer.from_pretrained('Helsinki-NLP/opus-mt-fr-ro', padding='max_length')
spm.SentencePieceTrainer.train(input=dataset_path, model_prefix=dataset_name, vocab_size=1000) 
#sentencepiece generated files to file system and the one with tokens are loaded
with open(dataset_name + '.vocab') as infile:
        vocab_str = infile.read()
vocab_list = vocab_str.split('\n')
vocab_list = list(map(lambda x: x.split('\t')[0], vocab_list)) #extract tokens
vocab_list.remove('') #remove empty string
tokenizer.add_tokens(vocab_list)
model.resize_token_embeddings(len(tokenizer.get_vocab()))